Jerusalem

Jul 19th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Jerusalem

Going to Jerusalem in October and I need help planning proper wardrobe. What would you recommend for shoes? Can I wear sandals at times? Really have no idea what to expect and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.
Jul 23rd, 2019, 05:29 AM

We've been there at the end of October and also in the beginning. It will probably be in the 70s. Beautiful. We wore sandals. BUT, do take sneakers or if you're wearing sandals, make sure they are very comfortable. Jerusalem has a lot of cobble stone streets, especially in The Old City. You can wear what you want but keep shoulders covered and no shorts when going into a religious site. Otherwise, I've seen everything worn.

NOTE - October this year has a lot of Jewish holidays and many things will be closed. Rosh Hashonah begins on Sept 28th and Yom Kippur, when there is absolutely nothing open and no transportation, no cars even, begins on the eve of October 8th. Then there are other Jewish holidays that follow. Some of those other, intervening days between holidays, restaurants and museums will be open, but it will be very crowded as Israelis take some holiday time and many people are visiting Israel. The Jewish holidays end on October 21st.
Jul 25th, 2019, 12:38 PM

schmerl

​​Those look like the sandals I wore but I did not pay $94.50 !!!

Jul 26th, 2019, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Percy View Post
schmerl

​​Those look like the sandals I wore but I did not pay $94.50 !!!
I'm guessing yours were less Percy? At any rate, they were worth every penny and are still in great shape years later.
Jul 28th, 2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dianedancer View Post
BUT, do take sneakers or if you're wearing sandals, make sure they are very comfortable. Jerusalem has a lot of cobble stone streets, especially in The Old City.
This, plus the entire city (old and new) is very hilly and you'll constantly be walking either up or down.

Wear whatever you're comfortable in -- and used to being in -- for a lot of walking.
Aug 10th, 2019, 09:17 AM

It can get hot. Light, loose clothes. Definitely bring a hat.