Search

Vaccinations for Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Susan Wojewoda

Vaccinations for Egypt

Unexpected opportunity to travel to Egypt around November 1. Everything I've read says that vaccinations should be received at least one month prior. Should I still go ahead with them. Seems that I need to get Hepatitis A/B. Has anyone heard anything different?

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Robert

As far as I know no vaccinations are required, or neccessary, for Egypt.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 08:22 AM
x

see "shots help" which has been brought to the top for you. You will need vaccs.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 10:20 AM
carol

Seems odd, but my doctor said the Hep A vaccine was effective immediately.

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 02:07 PM
Linda Thompson

The Hepatitis A vaccine is effective immediately, but you need to get a second injection six months later for lifetime immunization. <BR> <BR>We also got polio, tetanus, and typhoid at the recommendation of our local health department travel desk. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:19 AM
mary

suggest you ask Dr about gamuglobulin (spelling) shots. I took every shot recommended plus gamuglobulin and still got sicker that a dog. Stayed at Sheridan Jezira, watched carefully what I ate, and was sick within 3 days. Great country to visit if you don't have to eat or drink!

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Myriam

<BR>Mary, <BR>You must have had bad luck. I had no shots at all for Egypt, except the obvious hepatitis and tetanus, and never got sick overthere, nor in other parts of Africa. <BR>By the way, it is not only the food that makes people sick. Also the jetlag and the big difference in temperature may cause sickness. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:58 PM
LEANNA

Hi all.....well I want shots but at this point I think I'm off to Egypt in April wo/ them. Thought I was going to get my Hep A&B covered by insurance and when I showed up at my drs. today....they are $60 & $65 each because I dont need them medically only for travel therefore NOT COVERED. So that is $400 for the full series. Then I have to go to a private dr. for my typhoid and that is $75 plus $30 office visit. So...thats over $500 and too rich for my blood. I called the LA County and it seems Los Angeles has no clinic which would be cheaper. If by chance anyone out there can tell me a cheaper way to do this healthy thing....please do so!!! I want to have my shots....just in case...but I can't afford the shots AND the trip!!! sigh!! Thanks!

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 03:28 PM
Shelley Davis

Susan, I traveled thru Egypt and the Middle East during December/January and only required Hep A. Have Fun Its a wonderful place to visit

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 02:50 PM
Amy

Call the CDC. They even have a web site with their phone number. When I went to Egypt I got a number of vaccinations. I feel rather safe than sorry!

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:01 AM
Cindy

I went to Egypt last year and only had the Hep.A. All the other vaccinations are only if your doctor recommends them (depends on your personal health issues). Had a wonderful time. The cruise down (or up?) Nile was unforgettable. Did not get sick, felt totally safe, would go back in a second. Hope you have an awesome experience!