Extended trip to Zambia - help with itinerary

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended trip to Zambia - help with itinerary

Hi. I am an MBA student going on a "school trip" to South Africa, Zambia, and Botswana in mid may of this year. 3 of us are extending our trip for a week and remaining behind in Zambia. We are trying to figure out what we should do, and I was hoping that the Fodors readers would know of some great hidden gems. We want to rent a car and drive to whatever we are going to do.

My one friend is really excited about driving to Angola - is that a safe place to visit (this is for 2 women and 1 man)? What about Zimbabwe? Any really interested villages, parks, or anything else that we should try to hit for that last week?

Thanks in advance for your help - I am very excited for this trip and want to get the most out of it that I can.

Liz
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Are you renting a 4x4?
And you can forget about Angola. That is difficult driving(roads) and I don't think you will find an agency to
rent you a vehicle.
Where are starting your week extension from?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

We are starting in Zambia - I can't remember the name, but it is the place on the border with botswana - you can walk across apparently - overlooking Victoria Falls.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Car? 4x4?

Starting in Livingstone, I presume.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we are starting in Livingston. we have not rented anything - it is probably the most "last minute" trip I've ever taken. I usually plan my trips months in advance, so I'd love to put a bit more structure to this trip if possible. We would like to rent a 4x4, and if we do, where should we go?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Zambia is probably the most expensive place to rent a vehicle.But at least one of the best suppliers of quality 4x4's to rent just happens to be there. Located on Mosi-oa-Tunya Road near the town center.

www.4x4hireafrica.com/index2.html

The best thing to do is probably email them for prices and then come back to us if it is in your budget. I think they are over $125-$150/day fully kitted out with rooftop tents, frig/freezer, cooking gear, ect. Everything you need except to go to the Shoprite(think WalMart) for food and anything else you may need only a few blocks away. So in an AM could probably get familiarized with the vehicle and do your shopping and be off. The camping will save alot of money.

I would suggest
A) Kafue 1st and then Mana Pools Zimbabwe 2nd. Dropping off the in Lusaka and flying out of there. It is a full days drive between Lusaka and Livingstone and isn't worth it to race around to save a few bucks. Lot of driving in 7 days.
B)If you want to do less driving, go to VF side of the Falls, Hwange NP, Zimbabwe and then west to the Pandamatanga Border crossing. North to Chobe NP and back to Livingstone. Probably the easiest.
C)Chobe , Savute, Moremi, drop off in Maun if the seasonal flooding in Moremi will allow it by May.

If you decide to do this, download the digital maps at

http://www.tracks4africa.com/

They are all recently verified roads and tracks for a garmin gps with extra info as camps, fuel stations, points of interest, stores, ect.Amazing in that most tracks are confirmed within a few meters. Best maps in Africa.
There is a t4a forum gps and map related questions.

That good enough for a start.