j'burg

Jul 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Jo

j'burg

My partner and I hoping to visit SA for the first time in early Nov and plan to fly to j'burg pick up a car and drive to the kruger for a few days before returning to j'burg. We will then fly to George and drive to Cape Town
We would like some advice on whether we should stay in j'burg for a night after the flight as I would like to take a tour of the townships. Can anyone give us the name of a tour operator and a mid range hotel. Also do we need 2 or3 nighs at the Kruger if we want to see the sights as well as go on 1or2 safaris

Jul 15th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Karen

The Don Hotel is quite nice and there are several to choose from - one is near the airport. The prices vary depending on which one you stay at but the one at the airport runs around 35 pounds to 45 pounds per night. There are several operators that are ethical and reliable and I do not usually use the forums to promote myself but since you specifically asked about a tour operator, well I would have to say golf-travel-packagessouthafrica.com - that's us. And you can find others at ananzi.com - South Africa's search engine. Shop around and no matter who you choose - enjoy South Africa - It's a fabulous country.

Jul 15th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Lisa

Karen, We have been looking at the Don at the airport for our group. Can you give me more info on it there are not a whole lot of photos on the website. Is the area "safe"? Is it clean, pleasant attractive? Thanks in advance.

Jul 16th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Karen

Safe, I guess, is a relative word - I feel safe in London but people do get robbed and killed there from time to time. I would say the area is as safe as any and more safe than most places downtown. It is a medium priced hotel and is clean and comfortable but not luxurious. I have not stayed there myself - I live only a couple of hours away and come straight home. If there is a downside to it, it is that it is close to the airport which can be a bother if you are super sensitive to the noise which would be a lot less than around Heathrow as it is nowhere near as busy. If you are driving yourself around may I suggest carrying a cell phone and using it to summon help rather than stopping to help yourself - mean as that may sound. It is one of the favourite tricks of the criminal element here to get you stopped so they can help themselves to your property. Another case of a few giving a lot a bad name but better to be safe than sorry.

Search this Thread