Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   January Itinerary, input/advice appreciated! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/january-itinerary-input-advice-appreciated-750651/)

mommag Nov 27th, 2007 08:02 AM

January Itinerary, input/advice appreciated!

Everyone is very helpful on this site, I don't think I would feel comfortable without sharing our planned itineray. It is pretty much all set, but input would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: Arusha/Tarangire: Tarangire Safari Tented Lodge/Sopa, L,D
Day 2: Tarangire/Lake Manyara: Gibb's Farm for New Years Eve, BLD
Day 3: Lake Manyara/Serengeti, EMC Camp in southern Serengeti/Ndutu area, BLD
Day 4: Serengeti, EMC Camp, BLD
Day 5: Serengeti, Seronera Wildlife Lodge, BLD
Day 6: Serengeti/Ngorongoro/Masai Village/Olduvai Gorge, Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge, BLD
Day 7: Ngorongoro, Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge, BLD
Day 8: Ngorongoro/Arusha, BL

We are staying at the Jacaranda in Arusha, where our daughter spent several days and really enjoyed it. A little apprehensive about it, but I am trusting her judgement. We are starting and ending in Dar and staying at the Kemp there, a little luxury on either end of the trip.

mommag Nov 27th, 2007 08:08 AM

Also, for anyone who may be interested, this is a private safari with Good Earth Tours, and the cost pp for each child (sharing triple) is 2240., and for us it is 2350pp. As I mentioned earlier, Narry was very helpful and patient in the planning of this, and on relatively very short notice (started to plan in September 07)

mommag Nov 27th, 2007 12:49 PM

Could anyone offer advice re the Wildlife lodges (seronera and ngorongoro) over either the Serena or Sopa accomodations? Good, bad, and otherwise?

sandi Nov 27th, 2007 12:57 PM

Personally, I'd switch Day 5, Seronera/Central Serengeti to Day 3. Go to the farthest distance, then work your way back to Southern/Ndutu area, then onto the crater.

The Wildlife Lodges have been refurbished, which was long overdue. Many like these properties. And, to keep your prices down (EMC is the most expensive place on your itinerary), Wildlife is being offered. It may also, at this time, have to do with what's available. Most alternative camps/lodges are probably already fully booked for January.

mommag Nov 27th, 2007 01:09 PM

Thanks Sandi,
My daughter had gone to Arusha and had lunch at Gibbs, and really wanted us to spend New Year's Eve there, although once we had this booked and I looked at the route it does look like we're in for a long day of driving to the Serengeti, past Ngorongoro. It was a bit difficult to get everything we wanted as we booked fairly late, not having any clue how far in advance people plan these trips! We decided to splurge on the EMC camps so we could get a taste of a variety of different lodgings and experience. The sopa/serena were pretty much unavailable and still seem to be, although if we wanted to we could try to upgrade. But since the wildlife lodges have been refurbished I think we will just stick with them, the locations sound great!