Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   January 2009 safari (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/january-2009-safari-384810/)

eljay2 Jun 25th, 2008 07:34 AM

January 2009 safari

I will be flying into Nairobi at the end of December and want to do a 4 day safari. I have done Safaris in Tanzania on 2 different occasions but other than a day trip into Nakuru I have not visited Kenyas parks. I am thinking about the Mara and was wondering if anyone can share some travel information re December/January safaris and your preference to a park. I will be traveling with my 13 year old niece and my 13 year old cousin. The reason for our trip is to go into a village that my husband and I have been involved with since 2005 but I don't think you can take 2 thirteen year old gals to Africa without a safari! They have worked hard this year fundraising for the village in Kenya and will now get to visit. I am also wondering about accommodation in Mara - does anyone have information about the Sarova Mara or the Mara Serena? I am looking at booking through Suntrek Safaris or Eastern & Southern Safaris. Any suggestions would be great.

sandi Jun 25th, 2008 12:37 PM

The Masai Mara is always good.

From mid-Dec (15th) thru 3rd or 4th January, will be peak/holiday season with prices to match. After the early days in Jan the prices will drop somewhat, but still at peak rates.

Then decide whether you want to drive (5/hrs each way) having your own vehicle/guide or fly (50/min each way) using vehicle/guides provided by lodge or camp. Flying will probably be more expensive, but easier on time and your butts!

Mara Serena is always a good bet, but consider Mara Intrepid's; nicer and smaller than Sarova (probably a bit more expensive though). Unlike Serena which is a lodge, Intrepid's is a camp with lovely newly refurbished tents. They also have program for Adventurer's (teen-type ranger) which might be of interest. If you will be a party of 4, Intrepid's does have family tents - two tents joined by a screened breezeway with sofa, chairs... great for lazy afternoons.

Hope this helps.

eljay2 Jun 30th, 2008 10:43 PM

Thanks Sandi.

I will check out the Intrepid's. I am looking forward to seeing the Mara as I have done the Serengeti twice but have by passed the Mara in the previous two visits to Kenya. We will have the tour company that we use leave us off in Kiisi so that we can matatu to the village that we will be going into after the safari. This means only one longish ride into the Mara.

We are a party of three gals – myself (51 year old female) and 2 thirteen year olds. I'm looking forward to it.

atravelynn Jul 5th, 2008 12:43 PM

Mara Serena is a good location and very nice. You stay in unconnected round cement rooms built to resemble the homes of the Maasai. I have stayed there and would return. If the other accommodations mentioned work out better for you, I think they'd be good too.

HariS Jul 5th, 2008 08:18 PM

I second Lynn - for location, the Serena can't be beat. I haven't been there as yet - but, I was recently in that general area. The plains are spectacular, as is the views of the escarpment from there. To add to this, that general area is such a huge cheetah magnet .......

atravelynn Jul 5th, 2008 08:43 PM

I recall some very friendly rock hyraxes hanging around. Always a bonus.

eljay2 Jul 8th, 2008 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone... Serena it will be! I have stayed at various Serenas' in the Serengeti and have not been disappointed.

I am getting prices of $1100pp, based on three, for 3 nights. Still not sure whether I will go with Eastern & Southern Safaris or Suntrek... anyone have any experience with either of these safari companies?

Patty Jul 9th, 2008 10:51 AM

I've used Eastern & Southern for 4 trips and can highly recommend them. If you look through the trip report index, you'll find reports from others who have used them as well http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34860283

I recall a positive report from someone who used Suntrek a while ago but can't seem to locate it now. I don't think it's in the index as it was several years back. I'll keep looking.