Jan, Feb or Mar: what's a great safari option?

Old Oct 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan, Feb or Mar: what's a great safari option?

Am looking for a trip of 3-4 weeks duration to be taken in first 3 months of 2010.

At this stage am quite open to where and am not limited options to African safaris only.

Would like it to be a wildlife trip though, I think, though even that is not set in stone.

Neither of us can tolerate intense heat so we're keen to avoid anywhere with temperatures of over 30 degrees C during the day.

We've visited South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Kenya and Tanzania. We're open to re-visiting or to visiting the countries we've not been to, such as Zambia.

Madagascar is also an option, if the time of year is right.

The decision to take this time off and plan a trip for this time period has only JUST been confirmed so I'm at a VERY VERY early stage in planning here!

THANKS for any input!

Kavey
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM

How exciting that you are off again! Are you limiting your travel to Africa or anywhere in the world?
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM

I know you mentioned gorillas in the past. Feb would be a good time for them, along with something else, of course. Maybe Kenya and Sarara Camp in the Matthews Range, near Samburu. There is a cultural phenomena of cattle watering at the singing wells that is supposed to be very special. There would be plenty of time for some other activities.

In Feb at Phinda, or nearby, you can see the turtles.

I don't think Zambia would offer much wildlife viewing that time of year. There are some interesting festivals, though, in Zambia. N'cwala is one in Feb, I think, but I believe there are others.

You may be able to get some Tanzania migration deals.

I think the daytime temps would be fairly high, but not quite 30 in the places I mentioned, except the gorillas, which would be cooler.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Tanzania would be great for the wildlife, but in February it's going to be hot. When I was there in Feb. 2005, it topped out at 100 degrees F on some afternoons. I've also been to southern Africa in February... not the best time for game viewing, although it wasn't bad in the Sabi Sands area. The Cape Town area was lovely that time of year... wonder if some of the game reserves such as Phinda would be good then.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Not limited to Africa and really want to avoid hot!

I did just a few minutes googling last night (was out at a Save The Rhino event with Stephen Fry speaking about Last Chance To See, held at the Royal Geographical Society, Mark Carwardine was poorly so couldn't attend, very good but got back late) and looks like Costa Rica may be good at this time of year?

I know I've posted on Africa board but I'm looking for world wide suggestions, including but not limited to Africa.

I think my fitness levels just aren't sufficient for gorilla trekking at the moment.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 04:08 AM

(in brackets because not strictly relevant and can't offer advice on your question ... but glad you enjoyed the Save The Rhino event, me too, you didn't bid for that flip flop rhino did you???)
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Hi Kavey - although this is the Africa board I can say that Costa Rica in March (when I went) was lovely with very temperate pleasant weather. There was no rain for the 10 days I was there. Lots of bird watching, lots of monkeys. Even saw a 3 toed sloth. There are very easy walks or more challenging hikes.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Tockoloshe, oooh I should have asked if anyone here was attending... no I didn't bid!

I was surprised that the Nick Garbutt print didn't go FIRST to raffle winners... it's what I would have chosen straight off!

Another option on the cards is the Falkland Islands...
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM

"I was surprised that the Nick Garbutt print didn't go FIRST to raffle winners... it's what I would have chosen straight off!"

I know, I couldn't believe it either, and I was ONE number away from it!

Following your question with interest, especially for the wildlife angle. Good luck with the planning!
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Tasmania? I don't think their summers get really hot. It was our favorite part of our Australia trip last year. We only spent 6 days there but could've spent a lot more time (don't underestimate the size of the island) and it's some place we'd really like to go back to. Some photos http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...05%3A996565813 Good wildlife viewing (some of the pics were taken at sanctuaries), beautiful scenery, friendly people.

If you're thinking Central America, Belize is pleasant at that time of year and maybe slightly cooler than Costa Rica overall (though I think it really depends on where you go in CR as there's a greater variance in elevation/climate there vs Belize). We went in Feb/Mar this year and can recommend both Lamanai Outpost Lodge and Chan Chich for wildlife/birding http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...ebmar-2009.cfm Do you snorkel/dive? The western barrier reef is off the coast of Belize though I'd recommend avoiding the northern part and heading south or better yet to one of the atolls for more pristine snorkeling/diving.

I was investigating Costa Rica myself for a trip this coming Jan and posted a planning thread that you might find helpful http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...r-wildlife.cfm Like you, I was looking for a wildlife focused trip that wasn't going to be unbearably hot. From what I gathered, the Osa peninsula seemed like to best place to go for wildlife though it also seemed like it was fairly hot there year round. In the end because I didn't start booking anything until we returned from Kenya in late Sep and we were limited to the first week of Jan due to our schedules, we couldn't get into the Osa lodge I wanted so we temporarily abandoned the idea of CR and are going back to Belize instead. Though I've never been to CR, I do get the impression that you see more wildlife there overall vs Belize. However, there isn't great snorkeling/diving if that's a consideration.

Here's a thread that compares the two http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...-in-belize.cfm though not all of the posters replying have been to both (including me) and many are comparing the Cayo District of Belize which is not the best place for wildlife but a good place to base yourself for adventure activities and a side trip to Tikal (which I understand does have good wildlife).

There are also some wonderful wildlife photos from both Belize and CR here http://www.focusedonnature.com/gallery/6360693_Qmm68 (plus some Yellowstone/Grand Teton ones which is gorgeous in winter and not hot at all ).
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Oooh fabulous, thank you!

Belize is definitely of interest, I think, like Costa Rice, there's plenty of wildlife/ birding etc.

Falkland Islands are appealing hugely, just wish the direct RAF flight wasn't QUITE so bloomin' expensive!
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Sundowner does photo workshops with his guy and has been to the Falklands with him: www.shootthelight.com. He has some future workshops there.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ShayTay, very interesting.

Although we just attended a photography workshop in Germany last week, no, week before last, we're really looking for an independent trip. He does have one place left on his January Falklands workshop but I don't think it's for us. BUT it confirms that this is a good time of year, which we kind of knew from our Antarctic trips.

Thus far, Falkland Islands are looking good BUT an agent is calling me tomorrow and I may find that availability in the limited accommodation is gone and/or it's all too expensive.