Ivoty Coast

Jul 29th, 2019, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Ivoty Coast

Has anyone traveled to Ivory Coast. I need help like where to stay and any travel agent or tour or private guide
Aug 1st, 2019, 06:32 PM

Lived there for two years. Why on earth would you want to go? I may have some advice but I was there before the civil war and much of it will be out of date.
Aug 1st, 2019, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Why not? I would like to combine work with holidays.... No?
Aug 8th, 2019, 05:20 PM

Well, let's see. In the NW you are in Senoufo country. Excellent handicrafts and weavings. Mid West puts you near Dan, where a few hills break the monotony of the coastal plain. South again, into the Tai Forest, or what's left of it. South agin and you're on the coast near San Pedro. There's an old stone-lined harbor. There are also a few small bays, Monagaga is one, where you can swim without dealing with the enormous and very dangerous surf along the rest of the coast. In the NE there is, or was, a National Park i n which you might see a dwarf elephant (don't count on it).

In the middle of the country is old Houphouet-Boigny's Yamassoukro, with it weird concrete recreation of St Peter's. In the old days you could watch them feed live chickens to crocodiles. Jolly good fun.

South of Abidjan there's a long strand of beaches and small resorts, very busy on Sunday, empty much of the week. One of these spots was the site of a terrorist attack a few years ago.

Abidjan itself I'm sure has changed very much. There used to be quite good food -- but I'm not sure if any of the French, Lebanese, Vietnamese and assorted Euro expats have stayed. Beware that even in its heyday there was a very serious street crime problem after dark.

My info is very out of date and probably doesn't caution you enough. I believe the country is less stable than it was in my day. There is some attraction for people who might be interested in learning about some ethnic group or other, but it really holds little for the average tourist.

The offshore big game fishing is excellent, marlin, wahoo, mahi mahi, tuna, sailfish . . . bring your gear, and lots of money!
Aug 8th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.. Probably not many people having visited Ivory Coast... I will check
Aug 9th, 2019, 03:15 AM

You’re welcome. Come back and tell us what you saw.