Itinnerary suggestion

Sep 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Itinnerary suggestion

I will be travelling to South Africa next fall, and wanted to reserve my plane tix asap, using miles.
I need help with a suggested Itinnerary. I have about 10 days total during which I want to do game viewing and visit the wine country. For game viewing if those who know suggest two parks, one should be super deluxe, the second does not need to be asl plush. Is it safe to drive between the wine country and the game reserves, or is flying better. In terms of wine, I was thinking stellenbosch or paarl, but open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help
Sep 10th, 2004, 10:45 PM

Ellene,

How about something like this:

2 nights at Table Bay Hotel or Cape Grace

2 nights at Le Quartier Francais in the Cape Winelands

2 nights at Marine Hermanus for some whale watching and other activities (assuming that you mean you are going between August - early November)

From there you may catch an early flight either direct from Cape Town to Hoedspruit (Kruger National Park/Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve)

I would advise that all four nights are spent in the Sabi Sand, where you will be offered a more exclusive experience and the vehicles have the opportunity to go offroad in pursuit of gameviewing opportunities.

2 nights at Inyati. Rack rates are about $420 per person sharing per night, but a good agent should be able to save you 5 - 10%.

Per your ultraluxury request, why not end in grand fashion, at one of these great looking camps:

2 nights at Londolozi Tree or Singita Boulders or Royal Malewane. Each Singita and Londolozi will be about $1,000 per person per night sharing, while the Royal Malewane will be about $750 per person per night sharing.

Alternately, if you want to explore a newer park that features possibly even more diversity in wildlife than Kruger NP/Sabi Sand, you may want to consider Madikwe. For Madikwe, you would fly into Joburg and then catch a flight directly to Madikwe or a flight to Sun City followed by a 90 minute road transfer. The good thing about Madikwe for someone only visiting a single area, is that Madikwe is in a non-malaria zone, meaning that you will not need to take anti-malaria pills. Plus, in Madikwe, you can probably get more bang for your buck.

Consider a combination of the following:

2 nights at Mosetlha Bush Camp (about $175 per person per night sharing in a very rustic but very widely praised camp...see guest comments). www.thebushcamp.com

2 nights at Makanyane. This looks like a great camp and has a heated swimming pool, great looking suites and a very good story behind it...girl visits Africa...girl falls in love with Africa...girl has daddy build her a million dollar game lodge in Africa! Can you see sense the jealousy in my prose?!

Makanwane, even in high season, will only set you back about $475 per person per night sharing. www.makanyane.com

The only other thing I would suggest to you would be to try to expand your stay to more than 10 days. Every single additional day in South Africa is sure to hold priceless memories that you will always treasure!

So, for all of your accomodations on this choice, you would only pay about $2,500 USD plus transfers. Meanwhile, the Sabi Sand package would set you back more than double that amount, although, I don't think you can really compare either Inyati with Mosetlha (although the guest comments rave about Mosetlha) and you cannot even compare Makanyane with Londolozi or Singita. Even so, given the wide difference in price, I think it is worth serious consideration.

Search this Thread