Luggage Security at JNB

Old Feb 24th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage Security at JNB

I've read that luggage going through JNB is not very secure. It almost sounds like every piece is opened and pilfered but that seems rather extreme. My luggage will only have clothing in it. I'll be passing through JNB and collecting my luggage three times. What are the chances that I will lose something? Also, I see there is a luggage storage service at JNB. Is it safe to leave luggage in storage at JNB for a week or more?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:06 AM

I've traveled thru Jnb about 20 times. I've never had anything stolen. My daughter had shoes and a makeup case taken. Strange!
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:39 AM

On one of my trips through JNB to Namibia I had a 5-hr layover. When I opened my luggage in Namibia it was clear someone had rifled through it. Nothing was taken. They're looking for things of value (e.g., jewelry, electronics, cameras) not clothes (and according to my children, no one would want my clothes anyway).
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:47 AM

We have never had difficulty with our luggage at JNB, but we always bubble wrap our bags for our South/East African trips. Of the many visitors who came to see us while we were in CT for a year, one lost a pair of jeans out of their suitcase at JNB, and another lost a small camera, which was hidden in a shoe which in turn was wrapped in several items of clothing - either the camera was seen on an x-ray or the bag was thoroughly searched. Both visitors had their luggage locked - the locks had been broken. Don't know anything about storage at JNB - if possible, I would leave it at your accommodation. CR
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM

Have been thru JNB a number of times in the last year or so, have not had our luggage tampered with. But there are lots of places at the airport to have your luggage shrink wrapped and lots of people were doing so.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM

We no longer check luggage. I can get by with carry on. All safari camps do laundry (and I bring laundry soap for hand washing items). It's not as hard as it sounds.

But when we did check, we had no trouble at JNB with pilfering nor storage. We (four of us) stored bags for 11 days and it worked out fine.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 04:24 AM

I am also a fan of gladwrap but then I travel through Asia to get to Jburg so always do it from home and then again on my trip back home.

Does not stop anyone if they want to get into my suitcase, but at least i know if someone has been in it! Just never carry any item of value in a packed suitcase, always have it with you!

Sorry never stored at Joburg except in a hotel and that was fine. Have also stored with a smaller airline and that was also fine.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM

Locally the feeling is that the theft problem at OR Tambo has reduced considerably. There are clingwrapping facilites at the airport but make sure that you don't pack valuables in your stowage luggage - keep them with your carry-on goods.
No authoritative advice on storing at the airport, but my instinct would tell me to try to leave your luggage at your accommodation.