Itinerary help - South Africa

Jul 13th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary help - South Africa

Hello James,

My husband and I have will be visiting Cape Town. We check out on a Tuesday. I'm looking for some advice on our next destinations. We have Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday available. We need to be back in Cape Town anytime on Friday because we have a Saturday morning flight.

My thought was to leave CT and drive to Hermanus. We could spend the day there, enjoy the town, and try to spot a whale. I originally wanted to leave there and drive on the N2 to Kynsna, but that seems to be pretty far. Now I'm contemplating stopping Wednesday night in Mossel Bay and Thursday night in Oudtshorn. Then we would drive back to CT on the N1. We don't need to do any touristy things - we just want to view the scenery, walk around quaint towns, and take photos. If there is time to do a hike or a tour, that's fine but not necessary.

Do you think this is too ambitious? Do you have any suggestions? Someone suggested not going past Hermanus but enjoying the wine country instead. I was planning to visit some of the vineyards close to CT. We aren't avid wine drinkers so more vineyards may be too much - unless there's something special.

Thank you.
Jul 13th, 2015, 06:23 PM

I'm a safari girl, so I'd hop on a plane on Tuesday and head up to greater Kruger, stay in a full service lodge and fly back to CT on Friday. I can't imagine visiting SA and not experiencing the wildlife.
Jul 14th, 2015, 02:48 AM

Hi, You didn’t mention wanting to go on safari but if you’d like to see some game and beautiful reserves but don’t want the effort and expense of flying up to Kruger, you could go for a night to Aquila Game Reserve or Inverdoorn – about 2.5 hours drive out of Cape Town. It’s ‘soft safari’ because while the reserves are big, they aren’t big enough to let lions roam outside their designated area because they’d have no wildebeest or zebra left after a short while. However, I think it’s a great experience anyway.

You didn’t say which month you will be here, and you can only expect to see whales in Walker Bay (Hermanus) from July to October. The best way for guaranteed sightings is either on the ‘Flight of Giants’ with African Wings (fantastic) or on a whale watching boat from the harbor (also excellent). You may also be fortunate enough to see them from the cliff walk right in town of if staying in some of the best placed hotels, even from your bedroom!

You could go from Hermanus into the Winelands for a couple of nights, where you’ll find the scenery and towns very charming and you shouldn’t miss it just because you don’t drink wine. Stellenbosch is a very historic town with some of the best examples of how architecture developed over the past 350 years and is lovely to walk around. Franschhoek is absolutely charming in a beautiful mountain valley with a street of little shops, galleries and cafes. Many Franschhoek wine estates have so much more than wine e.g. La Motte Estate and Grande Provence both have art galleries and restaurants. I find the Butterfly Farm in Stellenbosch rather delightful and there are many places to visit that don’t involve wine.

Enjoy your trip.

Carrie, Fair Trade Safaris non-profit operator
Jul 14th, 2015, 08:36 AM

Just curious - who's James??

Search this Thread