Itinerary Help, please

Sep 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary Help, please

We are a family of four. First trip to SA. Focus is on game viewing as opposed to city/coast. Budget is pretty high as well as our standards for accomodations, food, service. Need to travel in July or August.
Fly to Joburg
Six nights in Kruger (3 Ngala, 3 Ulusaba?)
Fly back to Joburg, transfer to Pretoria
Blue train to Capetown (night seven)
Three nights Capetown (cape grace?) Central location is key. Would like to avoid renting a car if possible.
fly to either Madikwe OR Phinda/Mapelane for three nights. Can't decide among these destinations. Is terrain/game in Madikwe different from Phinda/Mapelane? Is there a difference between Phinda v. Mapelane that makes one more desireable than the other after having spent time in Kruger?
Thanks in advance. I feel so much better being in charge of my own destiny!
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Amy,

If your budget allows for it, I would recommend either Londolozi, Singita or Royal Malewane over Ngala. Of the four lodges, I have only stayed at Singita Boulders, but I do know that the Royal Malewane and Londolozi are also both much higher regarded than Ngala.

If you are going in late July / early August, I do think it would be a shame if you missed the whale watching opportunities nearby in Hermanus, but I am not an authority on this, as I have not yet been in South Africa late enough in the year to experience this personally.

You do seem pretty well insulated on this trip, without a visit to Soweto or any other cultural activities, but that is your prerogative, but it is also a loss to the entire South African experience.

Considering this is your first time in Southern Africa, I do think you should consider a visit to Victoria Falls, as it truly is spectacular and worth the visit. Plus, I would be willing to bet that the game viewing experience at Matetsi (www.ccafrica.com) is at least as good as the game viewing in Madikwe. At Matetsi, you are only one hour from Victoria Falls, but you are in the Matetsi Game Reserve and will have excellent spottings of Elephant, Giraffe and other game, with both morning and night game drives.

I would suggest this:

3 nights Ulusaba OR Royal Malewane
3 nights Singita Boulders
1 night Blue Train
3 nights Cape Grace
3 nights Matetsi Game Reserve near Victoria Falls OR 3 nights Grootbos Nature Reserve about 90 minutes outside of Cape Town

Search this Thread