Itinerary help

May 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary help

Hello -

I am heading to South Africa in a few weeks and wanted to know what are the things we should not miss in Cape Town. We only have 3 days and were thinking of using one of those days to go Shark Diving.

Also - has anyone stayed at the Hamiltons lodge in Kruger. Would love any tips on packing for the Hamilton's for this time of year. Thanks
May 14th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Hello Ttravels,

If, in meandering through the old discussions at Fodors, you haven't already come across this thread, do read Selwyn's suggestions for sight seeing while you're based in Cape Town:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34477003

Three days is a very compact time frame for Cape Town.

If I were you I would spend one day going to Cape Point (following Selwyn's suggestions all the way).

On another day I would try to fit in downtown Cape Town, starting at the Houses of Parliament and working my way down through the Pan African market on Long Street and ending up at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. From there I would take a boat ride to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned, and return for a late afternoon cable car ride up Table Mountain so as to catch the sunset from up there. I personally haven't packed all of these activities into a single day, but I think it would be feasible to do so.

For your third day you would need to choose whether you were going to do the shark dive or visit the winelands, because you wouldn't be able to do both.

If you want to do the shark dive, do a word search here at Fodors, because the activity has been discussed before.

Cape Town's wine producing hinterland is a pleasant area with some charming towns (Franschhoek, Stellenbosch, etc.) If you choose this activity and have only a single day to spend in the area, you should probably make sure to visit Franschhoek.

I like to investigate the history of any area that I visit and find out what some people claim is useless information. To that end I recommend the Huguenot Monument in Franschhoek. The Huguenots were 17th century Protestants who fled France during a period of persecution by Catholics.

I don't know exactly when you'll reach Cape Town, but the southern hemisphere is starting to head into its winter now. You may be lucky and get pleasant weather, but you also could run into cool, rainy and perhaps windy weather. Definitely take rain gear with you, just in case.

The days in the Kruger Park probably will be sunny and pleasant. Nights will be cool.

I've never been to Hamiltons, but I see on the Internet that it's a luxury tented camp. If it's a luxury tent, I trust you'll be kept warm, either by some sort of heating or by adequate blankets and duvets. It probably wouldn't do any harm to take a pair of flannel pajamas, though.

If you're taken on early morning and evening game drives in an open 4x4 vhicle, you could find the wind cold. You should take a jacket with which to keep warm and, even if it sounds like overkill, a woollen cap and gloves or mittens.

Safari operators encourage guests to wear natural coloured clothes (khaki and the like). The general idea is to blend in with the background and avoid disrupting the wild animals. White clothing is discouraged and, on some safaris, not permitted at all.

It would be ideal to have one pair of binoculars per person, and you'll want to have a camera for sure.

Here's a website that suggests suitable clothing and gives heaps of other information about going on safari:

http://www.krugerpark.co.za/what-to-bring.html

Hope this helps.
May 14th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!

Search this Thread