Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Itinerary for SA and Botswana Aug/Sep 2009 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/itinerary-for-sa-and-botswana-aug-sep-2009-a-762342/)

atam Jan 19th, 2009 03:33 PM

Itinerary for SA and Botswana Aug/Sep 2009

I finally got my reward ticket issued to South Africa in end of August and please help with my itinerary.

Here is my plan:

Day 1 Arriving JNB late, overnight
Day 2 JNB to Okavango Delta
Day 3 Okavango Delta
Day 4 Okavango Delta to Chobe
Day 5 Chobe
Day 6 Victoria Fall
Day 7 Victoria Fall
Day 8 LVI to CPT, arriving late
Day 9 Cape Town
Day 10 Cape Town
Day 11 Cape Town
Day 12 Cape Town
Day 13 Cape Town
Day 14 Capt Town to Kruger
Day 15 Kruger
Day 16 Kruger
Day 17 Kruger to JNB, flying home

The Okavango Delta part (2N/3D) costs around $2000 (flights & camps included) for two people even I use the low end lodging. I am not sure if it is worth or not.

Another option is having those days spending in Kruger or other safari camps in SA instead of Okavango Delta.

On the other hand, since I will visit Chobe anyway, it make sense to include Okavango Delta. Then I can complete Botswana (not sure if I will go back to that part of Africa again in my life time).

What do you think? Thanks!

divine54 Jan 19th, 2009 03:51 PM

okay - if you are desperate to include bot and think you don't come back to that part of africa - it's not too bad.

but for sure you cannot say after that trip "you completed" botswana.

vic falls at that time of year you should cross over to vistoria falls in order to experience the fall as the zambian side will be pretty empty.

i have no clue where further to shorten the various parts.

cape town is good in combination with the wine lands and/or trip to hermanus to see the whales.
so you should not shorten that part.

kruger is fine but only in ONE camp - best in sabi sands.

vic falls for 3 nights is too much IMO. i would shorten that part and dedicate at least one more night to the delta but again only one location/camp..

just my 2 cents

div

atravelynn Jan 19th, 2009 04:27 PM

If you choose a water camp in the delta, you'll have a green, lush experience. You may see red lechwe bound through shallow water and view prolific birdlife. You can spend time in a boat or the unique mekoro, which is poled through the reeds. You'll have beautiful views of the delta by air, and probably see elephant, hippo, or antelope when you fly in/out. Usually the more time in the water, the less wildlife seen.

But the delta is not your only chance to view wildlife in or near water. Besides the Sands River or waterholes, you will be on the Chobe River. Seeing animals from a boat is a main activity there.

If you think this is your one shot at the Okavango Delta and that kind of environment appeals to you, and a quick 2-night stay would satisfy you that you got to see it, I'd do it.

If you think you should go to the delta just so you can have a more well rounded Botswana trip, but you'd rather not spend the extra money and you are not interested in the water activities
offered in the delta, then I'd spend those days in Timbavati, next door to Sabi Sands.

The big thing is you have your air ticket.

Treepol Jan 19th, 2009 05:10 PM

atam,

Xaro Lodge http://www.afrizim.com/Places/Botswa...andle/Xaro.asp in the Panhandle gets a good review in the Bradt and the price is very reasonable. I believe it would be easy to drive to this lodge.

Happy planning,

Pol

cary999 Jan 19th, 2009 05:19 PM

Remind me -
"since I will visit Chobe anyway" - why are you going to Chobe?

regards - tom

HariS Jan 19th, 2009 05:26 PM

That's way too short a stop in Bots and not worth the short stop. Have you considered a mobile safari as one of your options?

atam Jan 19th, 2009 09:30 PM

Is 5D/4N for both Okavango Delta & Chobe is too short?

Haris, mobile is OK for us. Do you mean doing mobile in Kruger or Botswana?

I will stay in Londolozi in Kruger.

cary999 Jan 19th, 2009 10:08 PM

atam - one more try, are you going to Chobe for elephants, or? And FWIW, Londolozi is not in Kruger.

regards - tom

HariS Jan 20th, 2009 12:06 AM

Mobile for Bots - write to different ones to get their suggested itinerary and pricing.

4 days - not enough. If that's all the time you have suggest you add those days to SA section.

Krugerlover Jan 20th, 2009 12:20 AM

atam,

4 nights in Bots is really not enough. I would rather add those 4 nights to another lodge in South Africa like Kings Camp or Motswari in the Timbivati.

Londolozi is in the Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve. Very good choice though! Ask for Christopher Goodman as your ranger. Exceptionally gifted ranger!

Regards,

KL