Search

First time in East Africa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in East Africa

Hi there, we've booked our flights for Tanzania in July and after looking at quotes and itineraries are thinking of going on safari with the East African company - if anyone has any experiences with them and any guide recommendations that would be great.
My question is can anyone recommend a decent, mid-range place to stay in Arusha and Stone Town. We prefer to be in the heart of the town. Also would anyone know how much it costs to fly between Arusha and Zanzibar?
Thanks for this!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:16 PM
sandi

The Impala Hotel is in the middle of Arusha. In Stone there is Tembo House and Dhow Palace that are reasonably priced. Emerson & Green is a bit more expensive, but still reasonable. Airfare from Arusha/ZNZ is about $200 one-way, which your tour operator should be able to book for you.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:25 PM

Sandi's recs are spot-on (as usual). We stayed at both the Impala and the Tembo. Service at the Impala is a bit more Westernized. The Tembo was strange to me, but in a fun way. Both are good choices, but remember that neither is particularly glamorous or fabulous if that's what you're expecting.

Good Indian resto at the Impala. Beautiful views at the Tembo.

Also at the Tembo: a sign in our room to the effect that alcohol consumption and adultery are forbidden in the hotel (or was it "fornication"?).

I don't know the East African Company?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:37 PM

Could you be referring to East African Safari & Touring Co/EASTCO?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Yes I was referring to EASTCO. We're both in our 20's and our budget is a bit limited and while we've splurged on the safari (or are intending to) we were intending to cut down by spending little on our accommodation (we're spending a week in zanzibar after the safari) - the Impala seems a bit expensive. I've emailed the Dhow Palace but they never got back to me. Any other recommendations would be brilliant as well. Thanks again!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM

Has EASTCo recommended a lower-cost option to the Impala? There's the Ilboru (but I think that's not in town center), the Outpost...and others. The Jacaranda?

These are going to be a bit more rugged, I would think, than the Impala. But since you're young and looking to save money, go for it.

Let EASTCo know what you're looking for and they can probably either book for you, or at least make recommendations.