Itinerary advice (okay to skip Essaouira?)

Feb 7th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary advice (okay to skip Essaouira?)

Hello,

I am crafting an itinerary for Morocco in early September. We want to see some of the sights, but we are also interested in keeping things more slow travel; less rushing around. With that said, here is the itinerary:

Day 1: ferry to Tangier (we will be in Sotogrande, Spain beforehand), car & driver to Fes
Day 2-3: Fes
Day 4: car and driver to Kanz Erremal (near Merzouga)
Days 5-6: Kanz Erremal (with overnight camel trek)
Day 7: Car & driver to Kasbah du Toubkal
Days 8-9: hike to Mt Toubkal
Day 10: Car & driver to Marrakech
Days 11-13: Marrakech
Day 14: drive home

My questions are: Is this too ambitious (especially the Fes-desert and desert-Toubkal drives)? Should I be skipping Essaouira? If you were going to substitute Essaouira for the desert or Toubkal segments, which would you choose? Will the desert be unbearably hot in early September?

Also, any advice as to more efficient ways to do the transportation (either in a different order, or by plane) would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Feb 8th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Hi,

Your itinerary looks pretty good - the only suggestion I would make is that if you reach Merzouga late in the afternoon on Day 4, you can do the camel trek on Day 5. There isnt a lot to do out in the desert, so 2 days is entirely sufficient. They always bring you in from the desert early the next morning before it gets hot, so you could be on the road late morning on Day 6.

The drive from Merzouga to Toubkal is a LONG one, so you could break it up with a stop in Skoura, Kelaa M'Gouna or Boulmane Dades. Continue on to Toubkal on Day 7 and then pick up your itineray again.

I wouldnt trade the desert or Toubkal for Essaouira. They're both spectacular while Essaouira is merely pleasant.

It will be warm/hot in September, but its difficult to say if you'll find it unbearable. The desert is surprisingly cool at night. I slept in Merzouga in late April and needed heavy blankets.

Domestic flights all go via Casablanca (where you have a layover -and RAM is prone to delays), so they're not really an efficent way of getting around inside the country.

Search this Thread