Itineary Review - Safari late October

Jun 6th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Itineary Review - Safari late October

I would love to get some feedback...first timer to Africa...decided on Tanzania last week of October and first week of November...firstly how would you rate that time of year overall...also here is my itinerary through ADS
Night 1 - Kia lodge
Night 2 and 3 Migration Tented Lodge (believe its the same as Migration Camp)- Noth Serengeti
Night 4 and 5 - Mbuzi-Mawe...now I have heard a lot of bad things about them but they swear it's new as of June 1st (seeking confirmation) Also is the Central Serengeti good this time of year. I fnot that lodge, what would you recommend..looking for as luxurious as possible
Night 6 & 7 - Ngorongoro Crater Lodge...
Night 8 - Treetops - Tarangire.

This is a "private safari" for 2 people...approx. cost $4500 per person (land only)

Please give me as much advise as possible.

Thanks

Jun 6th, 2005, 10:38 AM

See this thread for a description of the 'new' Mbuzi Mawe camp and an update soon on Tarangire Treetops -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34628643

Just FYI, you may get much better prices if booking through a Tanzania based safari operator. $4500pp is very high for an 8 night safari. You might want to contact Roy's Safaris or Good Earth Tours both frequently recommended here for quotes. Good luck!
Jun 7th, 2005, 01:45 AM

By travelling in November you should save some money as it is the start of the green season rates. It is also the start of the rainy season but if you are lucky it might not rain till mid to late November. November is also the season of the wildebeest migration through Northern Tanzania.

I personally think you should avoid 1 night at Tarangire Treetops as it is over 30 minutes driving time outside the park (maybe that has changed) and with all these transfer times you won't get much game viewing done. It would be better to stay inside the park. Better still I would spend an extra night in Serengeti. It is a good idea to use two different Serengeti camps in different locations as the migration movement can be unpredictable.

The price appears high. There are several recommendations on the board of reliable safari operators in Africa and I would suggest you get comparison quotes from them. I would also recommend you try Vintage Africa whom I have used successfully for many years now.
Jun 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...I went back and got quotes from Good Earth and Roys and as I have seen on these boards consistently...GE came up with a much better quote.

Search this Thread