Istanbul For Christmas & New Years

Oct 14th, 1997, 11:40 AM
Caren

Istanbul For Christmas & New Years

My husband and I are thinking of spending Christmas and the New Year in Istanbul. We live in NYC. What is the weather like ? Are there things to do --cultural and sightseeing. We are not interested in sitting on a beach. How expensive are hotels ? You can respond to me directly at my e-mail address:
[email protected].

Oct 23rd, 1997, 03:14 PM
Paula

DFon't worry about the bathing suits - it will be 40 -50 degrees and could be rainy. There is plenty to do in Istanbul from the tourist attractions to shopping. The only thing that you will miss are the tourists and the CHristmas trappings which some people find refreshing. Let me know what you want to do and how long you will be there and I will make suggestions.

tutsgold.com Makes Egypt Happen!!!

Nov 16th, 1997, 07:04 PM
J.L. Krantz

Nice hotels in Istanbul tend to be quite expensive--in the $200+ range and you may do better by arranging rates through an agent or chain here. I recently saw an ad for the Istanbul Conrad for about $100 less than I was quoted there. Many 4 star hotels in Taksim square area for about $100/night (these were rates in May, '97--winter will probably be cheaper), make sure to get a room high up and in the back (it's quieter). Excellent restaurant about 2 blocks uphill from Conrad Hotel called Yildiz something--$30 gets you a meal that would easily be $150 in a U.S. city. In general, would recommend eating in nicer restaurants since they are not much more expensive than the mid range ones. Buy gold and old maps/documents/Koran pages--would avoid leather (poor quality) and jewelry stones (can't trust what you are getting). Have fun!

Search this Thread