Istanbul

Jul 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Istanbul

Late September (18-22)My wife and I have a 3 1/2 day lay over in Istanbul. This is our first time in Turkey and are looking for recomendations for what to do and see.

Thanks,
Bob
Jul 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM

I just went to Istanbul for a week last year and loved it! If you need a place to stay, consider the Hotel Ambassador in the Sultanahmet district. The rooms are okay, but the staff is great, the price is right and includes breakfast on their rooftop terrace with a gorgeous view of the Sofia and the Blue Mosque, and it's located near the tram, internet cafes, restaurants, and all the old city sites. Here's the link http://www.hotelambassador.com/ (I'm not on the payroll...just enjoyed the stay).

Obviously you have to check out the "must see sites" - Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Tokapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, and Spice Market. We took a tour that covered the first three and did the other two on our own. Also check out the underground Roman Cistern...very cool...literally, it's a great way to escape the heat If you want to try out your sea legs, take the ferry up the Bosphorus, a beautiful view of more mosques and an old Ottoman fortress. We also went to see the Whirling Dervishes...not the one near the Blue Mosque, but the group that performs near Galata Tower...less touristy. Very mystical and beautiful. And I highly recommend taking a Turkish bath if you're a little on the adventurous side. Have fun!
Jul 15th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Turkey is covered extensively on the Europe board.

Search this Thread