Israel with side trip to Jordan

Jun 12th, 1997, 03:55 PM
Terry Ludlow

Israel with side trip to Jordan

I will be going to Israel this summer and wonder about going to Jordan and Petra for a couple of days. Is it easy to visit this area this way and return to Israel? What about a visa? Is this a big problem? Thankx!

Jun 13th, 1997, 06:52 AM
CAT

There are many tour operators offering 1-4 day tours to Jordan from Israel with English speaking guides.The amount of time you spend in Petra is about the same regardless of the total number of days you spend in Jordan (the longer tours include Amman, Jerash, etc.). The tour operator takes care of the Jordanian visa at the border crossing. You pay the tour operator in dinars that you can buy at the border. The visa fee is about $50 for a US citizen. The visa fee is based on how much a Jordanian citizen would pay to get a visa to your country of origin. Since the visa fee varies by country, its likely you'll be on a tour with people from all over the world who are all paying different fees! Pity the tour operator who has to figure it all out! The border crossing procedures can take several hours - it took us 2 hours. Definately go, Petra is an unbelievable site to see! Wear good hiking shoes as you have to walk quite a distance on rocky paths. E-mail me if you have more questions.

Jun 15th, 1997, 09:23 AM
Rebecca Stolpa

We are two families of 8 people (4 children ages 14-11). We wish to go to Petra and Amman on our own. What is the best way to go from Israel into Jordan? Should one rent a car, go by bus or find a service to take you across the border and to your destination. We are considering leaving from Haifa, driving to Amman then on the Petra and returning near Eilat. Should we request a visa to Jordan before leaving the U.S. or can anyone purchase a visa at the border crossing? Also do you know of any service than will take you to Amman from Jerusalem or Haifa, drop you off there, then pick you up in Petra and return you to Jerusalem? Is there an E-Mail address? Thank you.

Jun 18th, 1997, 03:36 PM
Jason Swaye

Rebecca,
This is a friend of mine who is a tour guide. He speaks about 5 languages, travels the world and is really nice. I have taken a number of trips with him before we became friends and I think he could really help you a lot. The kind of trip you are looking for should be more personal than grab a bus and just go. Tell him that Jason Swaye from Eilat sent you and he will be more than happy to take care of you.

Click this line below:
http://www.netvision.net.il/php/zvitours/

If you want to know about me, I can be reached at the following address:
http://www1.isracom.co.il/~jswaye

Good Luck and Have a great time over here!!!
By the way, stay away from Red Sea Spoorts while you are over here!

Jason Swaye

Search this Thread