Sanjan at Roys fixed our problem

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanjan at Roys fixed our problem

We had problems with Roys re: our intital booking and having it changed drastically when we wanted to go ahead. We were just about ready to cancel and start again when Mr Sanjan from Roys contacted us and fixed up everything. I believe they must be have some problems with staff but I also think they watch this site and were dismayed by comments. I believe Roy's is a good operator and we are happy with our bookings now.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:50 AM

If Roy's continues to have these problems and the manager has to continually jump in and "fix" things, it doesn't really bode well for the company, does it? I mean, why would they continue to let things happen? Just curious, having read similar threads.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:55 AM

Glad to hear things have been resolved for you. Would you mind posting your final itinerary? Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM

Banners- Please remember when you write your evaluation after your trip to mention the booking problems. I did that when I wrote the long complaint after we returned home. I think that may be why Sanjay is making contacts now. He is very results oriented and unfortunate that he has to do this. I cannot see how he can since this is their high season. That has to be incredibly expensive and time consuming. He never got into the bookings before.
I really don't think they monitor the boards. Internet is not that cheap or easy to have in Tanzania. Mostly they have the email features with their systems.
These continual posting all about the same thing will have a long range effect if it isn't corrected I'm afraid. Liz
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

This site is certainly monitored by Sanjay. I received an email from him about out posting. He is concerned about all the chit chat coming across about Roy's and only one side being stated. I will agree with this as some of our problems were probably self inmposed because we didn't understand the way things are organised there. The larger companies do block book a lot of rooms and companies like Roy's has to make a big effort to get rooms. They had put us on waiting list for what we wanted and to us this meant no way when in fact it meant that there was a good chance. We didn't understand this. We have been updated every few days on all aspects of our trip and Sanjan has made some changes to our itenary for the better. We did by the way look at the big operators and feel we are getting a much better deal with Roy's both in cost and their general understanding of the place.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM

Banners-
I would think that the TAs from here notify him about the postings. While this is not that important, what is important is that I had problems with the booking department. Since then at least 4 or 5 others have posted here towards the final stages of their bookings with the identical problems that I had. It is panic time and you have no one to turn to. I know the feelings. It seemed to occur after I sent them money, cash of course. As soon as I did, I started having problems of disinterest coming from them. Why should we continue to send people to this company if they have not cleaned up this process?
I will continue to add cautions when people ask. People are entitled to that. I think of the ones that Sanjay may not have the time to call, or that he doesn't hear about. Think of yourself, if he hadn't called where would you be now? Liz
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:54 AM
bwanamitch

Please...
How many people had problems? And how many people were happy with this operator?
In my experience many people only address the public if they need help. These problems could have been the fate of a very few individuals. Does this legitimate such a "campaign"?

Mitch

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM

Disclaimer- The following is simply my obversations and beliefs. While I have been to Africa only ONCE, I am not an expert...And I am not connected to Roys in any way...

I will simply state that we dealt with Sanjay for our June/July 05 safari and - while Liz has noted on previous posts, I am not an expert or ever claimed to be - that Roy Safaris and Sanjay exceeeded our expectations.

I also spoke to other Roy clients that we met along the way and they also had great experiences.

I had the pleassure of spending an afternoon with Sanjay in Arusha and found him to be very professional. The office was very impressive, staffed by many well educated, hard working and very nice people. I was amazed at the technology. We could see the conference room for staff training with computer and video displays all around. We were welcomed into Sanjay's office. It is quite obvious to me that Roy's places an emphasis on staff training and treating customers well.

Sanjay indicated to me that there has been much more business recently (since 9/11). Although I did not experience this, other isolated individuals may have had issues related to the volume of business.

Problems can and will occur on occassion in any complex plan such as a safari. What matters most, I believe, is how issues are dealt with and the final outcome. I have not read posts concerning Roy's that has not in the end been positive, other than Liz's issue (I am still confused as to what really happened).

In the end there are no guarantee of quality of service. It has been our experience that if you are respectful and respectful of others you usually recieve the same in return.

As a first timer traveling with my wife and 11 year old son, this trip seemd very exotic and riskly. I questioned every aspect of the planning process. I appreciate all the advice from everyone on this board. My advice to first timers planning their safari is not to become as paranoid as I was! As I was told by so many people - you will have a wonderful time. We certainly did!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I want everyone to know that Roy's have sorted out our problem completly. Also since we work in the Middle East we were having an issue about transfering funds for the deposit. Sanjay is paying the deposit and waiting for us to transfer when we can out of good faith. At least Roy's fixes problems how many operators would find the whole thing just to hard? Just because there is chat about Roy's doesn't mean they should be avoided. Maybe so many people use them that the odds of a hic up is greater. Is everyone else 100 % happy with other operators? I will update after our trip but we do expect it will be great. We have traveled
extensivly in Africa but not the East so have an idea of what to expect and how things can be difficult. It is better to have someone fixing your problems then ignoring you.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I've booked a trip with Roys for myself and four other family members and have absolutely nothing to complain about. They've been very helpful, for example taking over the handling of flight bookings that I had started doing on my own, but later realized would be costly to pay for from Europe. Roys are paying for the tickets until we show up in Arusha with the final payment. And we have paid our deposit already, so there's nothing of the "lost interest after we paid the deposit" thing.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:21 PM

We did a Roy's trip in June. We were totally happy.