Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Israel - Talk Me Down From My Fear of Going (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/israel-talk-me-down-from-my-fear-of-going-883386/)

waldodio Mar 24th, 2011 03:55 AM

Israel - Talk Me Down From My Fear of Going

Turmoil in virtually ever Arab nation surrounding Israel now. Jerusalem bomb blast just this week. I'm about to schedule a tour (Holy Land - northern, Jerusalem, Masada) for September of this year. Would you still do it right now? Yes, I know that Israeli security is superior, but, would I be wise to wait maybe a year before going? The trouble is, I'm going in order to take my elderly mother, and there's no guarantee she'll be here next year to make the trip, or, if here, be physically able to do so. Talk me down from my fear!

qwovadis Mar 24th, 2011 04:24 AM

As you have pointed out security is the best of any country
in the middle east and tourists are not generally singled out as targets like some other areas.I have traveled there in the past during troulbed times and have had no problems.Always stay out of terrorism target areas like buses etc.Stick with group organaized tours out of metro areas crowds crowded open air local restaurants bars etc. odds are overwhelming you will be fine.Excellent prices as you might imagine right now.

I always monitor travel.state.gov Israel for a heads up

have a back up plan and insuremytrip.com.

www.affordabletours.com good site for tours

Have fun if you choose to go,

jillp Mar 24th, 2011 07:51 AM

I leave this coming Monday for a 10 day tour of Israel.I'm a bit concerned (ha--very concerned) but will trust the security and stay with my tour at all times. I'm sure the airlines will be very tight with their security, too. Prayer will help, too!

sandi Mar 24th, 2011 08:17 AM

WOW, qwovadis actually replied in full sentences. Very good and thank you!

Agree with his comments, as with travel anywhere - stay away from crowds of locals protesting something or other, buses, etc.

At the same time a bomb went off in Jerusalem (first in 4/years if that's any consolation), there was a bomb scare in Paris evacuating the Eiffel Tower.

There are those who are up to no-good everywhere, and staying home isn't the answer when you can be hit by a bus crossing a street or gas exploding your house.

Go with mom and enjoy! I know you will.

Elkaz Mar 24th, 2011 09:19 AM

The bomb explosion in Jerusalem can understandably be very disconcerting. That being said other cities have crime rates, murders etc. etc. The odds of your being a victim in Jerusalem ( or anywhere else in Israel) are not greater than your odds of being a victim any place else. The unrest in neighboring Arab nations has nothing to do with Israel.

Especially considering your desire to go with mom while she still can I feel it would be unwise not to go. RE not riding buses--the explosion was not ON a bus. It was in an area where there are lots of people. Unfortunately no matter where we go, anyplace in the world if we are tourists we will be near lots of people. We can't stop living for fear of not living. If so--they win and we loose.

schmerl Mar 24th, 2011 10:15 AM

We are leaving in a month for 16 days in Israel and Jordan. Of course the bombing in Jerusalem is upsetting. However, a bomb was set off in the bathroom of a bar in a town near mine. There was a bomb found in the Federal building in Detroit.
I really want to visit Israel and Jordan while I am physically able to take full advantage of visit.
Horrible things can happen anywhere. If we all waited until the world was totally "safe" to go anywhere, we would all be hiding inside our homes forever.

Idnas71 Mar 25th, 2011 11:02 AM

Regarding the busses...I was planning to take a bus from Jerusalem to Beit Shean, and then a taxi to the border crossing into Jordan in a couple of months. So I guess this would be inadvisable right now? Really didn't want to incur the expense of a taxi for a two-hour ride, but I guess I would if necessary.

Also, I am planning to visit Bethlehem with a guide, but probably taking a taxi back to Jerusalem on my own. Considering this is Palestine territory and the recent volatility, should I re-think that plan as well?

schmerl Mar 25th, 2011 11:10 AM

The bomb was not on a bus. It was in a phone booth near the bus terminal.
we plan on visiting Bethlehem with a guide. I am not going to let some craziness ruin my trip.

tinydancer Mar 26th, 2011 08:33 PM

Just go and be alert. The world is in general a dangerous place. But you will occupy only about a 2'sq area at any one time. Have a great trip.

mbgg Mar 26th, 2011 10:36 PM

You could go instead to a country with no danger of terror attacks, like ..... Japan.
Everywhere is potentially dangerous.

P_M Mar 27th, 2011 09:41 AM

I put off going to Israel for so many years becuase of my fears. One day a Fodorite told me JUST GO and I did. It was one of the best trips of my life and there's no question I would go again. Have a great trip.

nickn Mar 27th, 2011 11:29 AM

Each person (should) evaluate pros and cons with each alternative to determine risk / benefit situations. What is appropriate for one person is unlikely to be relevant to others.

What benefits do you expect to gain by waiting a year? Nobody knows the security situation in one year. The situations don't get better or worse without relevant driving forces. You have indicated major drawbacks in waiting another year, so I am not sure what is that you think would be wise to wait.

I am in Israel right now. The country is booming with constructions and the security situation is very good. I have crossed three West Bank check points so far, and the crossings have been a piece of cake.

Many of the U.S. tour groups I saw were older people. While, I don't know why they waited traveling to Israel until now, their ages are definitely making it difficult to visit sites. Many sites require going up and down slopes and stairs as well as going through tight low ceiling spaces.

If you are wishing, without identifying specific driving forces, that somehow things get better in one year, you also might want to ask yourself, why wouldn't the situation somehow get worse?