5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Cape Town for 5 nights in late August, and I know they have lots of great restaurants. We would love to sample 5 of them (we only have 5 nights), and I need help. We like fish, but DH prefers meat. We'll stay close to Kloof street, so restaurants in that neighborhood would be a plus.
I looked at La Colombe, menu looks amazing, but it's 45 min away, we would like to dine closer to home.
Please tell me your favorites in the area, or 15-20 min drive by taxi. Also, would like a recommendation for a late lunch - early dinner for our first nigh, maybe in the V&A Waterfront area. Thanks
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 09:12 PM

My favorite restaurant ever is The Test Kitchen (Woodstock). It is owned by the former chef of La Colombe Luke Dale-Roberts. You need reservations many months in advance so if you want to go do it now.

In Gardens my favorite restaurant is Aubergine. I also really liked Bizerca, a french style bistro close to Gardens. For a more casual and fun night out you could try Bombay Bicycle Club, a Madame Zingara restaurant.

Over in Seapoint,I highly recommend La Mouette. They have a great 6 course tasting menu and in the winter months they have been highly discounting the price and it is great value for money (even at regular price).

If you can venture a bit further to Constania, the Greenhouse was simply amazing with a many course tasting menu and very creative dishes.

Sorry can't really help with the Waterfront, I liked the Greek Fisherman (but we dont eat seafood so I don't know if that is good) so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Have a great trip, I just gained 5 kilos just thinking about the food in Cape Town.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 01:27 AM

Hi there

I would suggest trying Camissa Brasserie restaurant at the Table Bay Hotel. They have some of the best local and international cuisines and I guarantee that you wont be disappointed. And an advantage is that they situated on the V&A Waterfront, meaning you will be experiencing the best of Cape Town while dining. You can download their menu here http://www.suninternational.com/tabl...s/default.aspx
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 02:54 AM

We enjoyed our meal at the Kloof Street House. We went during a power cut so the restaurant was lit by candles. They still managed to cook though. Power cuts seemed to be quite common. This could be a good place for your first night but there are other options close by in Long Street and surrounding areas.

http://www.kloofstreethouse.co.za/

I would recommend a meal in Camps Bay. It's a gorgeous setting by the sea. We have eaten at Blues a few times and really like it. Its an upstairs restaurant so if you get a table by the window, you have a nice view to the beach.

http://www.blues.co.za/

We couldn't get reservations for the Test Kitchen nor La Colombe, they were booked out several months ahead but did enjoy a very special lunch at the Flagship in Simons Town. It does take a lot of time though which for a 5 night stay might be too much.

Belthazar was recommended to us for a meal at the V&A but didn't have enough time to try it. It did look very nice though.

http://www.belthazar.co.za/index.php/food-menu
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks a lot for all these recommendations...I checked out a few, I am dying to try them all.
Not a good idea to look at all these wonderful dishes before lunch
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Howzit xyz99,
In addition to the knowledgeable recommendations above, I'd like to add the incomparable Miller's Thumb, which ticks the box for fish/meat and is also just off Kloof Street.
If you journey down to the Cape Peninsula, make time for a stop at the Imhoff Farm and it's lovely Blue Water Cafe.
May the Rainbow Nation share her love with you!
Darren Humphrys
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 02:19 PM

MILLERS THUMB (Kloof st)
HUSSAR GRILL (steak)
BAIA (Fish) waterfront
CARNE (Meat) town
BUHKARA (Indian) town

You won't go wrong with these 5 !
enjoy
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

More wonderful recommendations, thanks. Too bad we're in CT only for 5 days...well, technically 4 1/2 actually.

Darren, we'll definitely stop at the Blue Water Cafe...it will be perfect for coffee (and a sweet thing, of course) in the afternoon.

Thanks for the love wish, I'm sure we'll find lots of it in South Africa, praying for nice weather too
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Here's a great trip report from a fodorite who loves to dine

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...in-october.cfm
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:22 PM

Also use Uber, much cheaper then taxi's and nicer cars.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Right, I forgot about ekscrunchy's TR...how could I? Thanks for reminding me, Elizabeth_S.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 07:24 PM

Bookmarking for September
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 03:17 AM

So many great suggestions, but please note; La Colombe has moved from Constantia Uitsig to Silverhurst Estate, (but still a bit of a drive) and I'm sorry to say the chef/owner of the Flagship in Simon's Town passed away. Since you are foodies and have stipulated you don't want to travel far, then kellyee21 and barry3040 suggestions are tops. Book far ahead for The Test Kitchen (No.1 in South Africa according to Eat Out Guide), and if it's full try the sister restaurant The Pot Luck Club. Kyoto Garden Sushi in Kloofnek Rd (just up the road from where you are staying) was awarded 'South Africa's Best Asian Restaurant' in 2014 by Eat Out. The Best Everyday Eatery for a good lunch was 'Chefs Warehouse & Canteen, 92 Bree Street.

You really need to add a lunch out in the Winelands, since 6 out of the Top 10 Eat Out 2014 Awarded restaurants are there. Here's the full list,which I find a useful guide (see their website for reviews):

EAT OUT GUIDE SOUTH AFRICAN TOP TEN RESTAURANTAWARD WINNERS 2014

1. The Test Kitchen - Woodstock, Cape Town
2. Five Hundred – Saxon Hotel, Johannesburg
3. The Tasting Room – Le Quartier Francais, Franschhoek
4. Restaurant Mosaic - The Orient Private Hotel, Pretoria
5. Jordan Restaurant – at Jordan Wine Estate, Stellenbosch
6. Overture – at Hidden Valley Wine Estate, Stellenbosch
7. Rust en Vrede – Annandale Road, Stellenbosch
8. DW Eleven-13 – Johannesburg
9. The Restaurant at Newton Johnston – Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, Hermanus
10. Terroir – Kleine Zalze Wine Estate, Stellenbosch

Enjoy your gourmet experiences.

Carrie at Fair Trade Safaris non-profit operator
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 03:20 AM

OOps.. I mean la Colombe has moved to Silvermist not Silverhurst, on Main Road, Constantia Nek.
Carrie, Fair Trade Safaris
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 06:13 AM

<<I'm sorry to say the chef/owner of the Flagship in Simon's Town passed away.>> You forgot to mention that Duncan Doherty has taken over after the untimely passing of the original chef/owner. The lunch experience is unique and excellent, if you have the time for it.
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

We could not get reservations at The Test Kitchen - we called April 8/9 when I started this post, they were booked until Nov for dinner.

But we got reservations at La Colombe, the Greenhouse and Bizerca. Miller's Thumb is not open on Sunday, which is apparently very common in Cape Town.

We'll try The Restaurant at Newton Johnston in Hermanus, and need to pick now some in the Winelands...looking good
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:05 AM

Take a look at Babylonstoren, Delaire, and Tokara as well as LQF. To be honest, the bar is pretty high in the Winelands so I don't think you can go too far wrong at any ofo the "name" places. And maybe not in the non-famous ones as well.

For Test Kitchen, you might ask your hotel to try to book for you.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:07 AM

See if there is anythingn of interest here; nice photos:

http://www.townandcountrymag.com/lei...s-wine-country
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions and link, ekscrunchy, thanks. I think we'll stop for lunch at Delaire, it looks wonderful and the menu looks great. I envy the people leaving in the area, so many choices...
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:44 PM

Jumping on, in case you're still looking for ideas.... We'll be in Cape Town in August too, and after extensive research, have reservations at Test Kitchen, La Mouette, Bizerca, and Savoy Cabbage. Based on reviews and menus, those sounded the best to me. Seems like there are plenty of good meals to be had!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -