Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Israel-need recommendations on places to visit and/or stay

Israel-need recommendations on places to visit and/or stay

Nov 15th, 1999, 04:16 AM
barb

Israel-need recommendations on places to visit and/or stay

My husband and I are planning a trip next year to Egypt where we will spend about 2 weeks. I have convinced him to add on a few days in Israel for a 'trial run' with the plan of returning in the future for a longer visit. We are young, active people and are looking for recommendations of the best sites to see in 4-5 days. We definitely would like to see Jerusalem and Masada. Any other recommendations for "don't miss?"

Nov 15th, 1999, 12:45 PM
John

Hi, Barb,
With 4 or 5 days you won't have time to see much more than Jerusalem and Masada, and then only sketchily. Masada can be done as a day trip from Jerusalem, although a night or two around the Dead Sea would be rewarding. With more time we would suggest the north, Galilee and the Golan, but with your schedule I think that's pushing it.

Nov 17th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Judy

Barb,
I would concur with John. You could easily spend 4/5 days in Jerusalem alone. A trip to Masada could be combined with a float in the Dead Sea and on the way you'll be able to see the Judean desert and hills. Also I noted from your previous post that your trip is planned for October 2000. You should be aware (if you're not already) that a number of Jewish holidays fall in October that year - Rosh Hashanah 10/1, Yom Kippur 10/9, and Sukkot/Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah from 10/14-10/22 (may be 1 day shorter in Israel than here). The holidays may affect a variety of your plans - transportation, cost of hotels, etc.

Search this Thread