Israel in late October 2019: holidays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on a three week trip to Israel (loosely, a week in Jerusalem, a week up north, a few days back in Jerusalem to day trip to the Dead Sea, Masada etc, and a couple of days in Tel Aviv).

DATES:
My first choice would be to go from October 20 to about Nov 11, but holidays are late this year: Sukkot is Oct 13-20, and Simchat Torah is Oct 21-22.

Should I avoid the holiday period, and delay my trip by a week (say, Oct 27 to Nov 18), or if I can manage the bookings, jump at the chance to be in Jerusalem for Simchat Torah?

TRANSPORTATION
I would like to avoid renting a car, and instead use a combination of rail, bus, sherut and day tours. Shabbat limitations on public transportation aside, is this reasonable, or for my week up north should I resign myself to renting a car?

Thank you!
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meredydd
I am working on a three week trip to Israel (loosely, a week in Jerusalem, a week up north, a few days back in Jerusalem to day trip to the Dead Sea, Masada etc, and a couple of days in Tel Aviv).

DATES:
My first choice would be to go from October 20 to about Nov 11, but holidays are late this year: Sukkot is Oct 13-20, and Simchat Torah is Oct 21-22.

Should I avoid the holiday period, and delay my trip by a week (say, Oct 27 to Nov 18), or if I can manage the bookings, jump at the chance to be in Jerusalem for Simchat Torah?
FYI, Simchat Torah is Oct 20-21 in Israel. It's a day earlier than outside of Israel, and combined with Shemini Atzeret. Given this, would you even be there for ST?

TRANSPORTATION
I would like to avoid renting a car, and instead use a combination of rail, bus, sherut and day tours. Shabbat limitations on public transportation aside, is this reasonable, or for my week up north should I resign myself to renting a car?
The latter. It's REALLY inefficient to try to do the North using public transportation. It can be done in theory, but buses are slow, infrequent, and don't really go where you'll want.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Ah, thank you for pointing out the 1-day difference in holiday dates. I had been doing a bit of head-scratching about the dates in some of the things I was reading, and kept checking to see if I had the 2019 dates correct.

I will consider renting a car. As a solo driver who (a) is not aggressive, and (b) does not speak/read Hewbrew, I am a bit hesitant. But then, I don't like driving in Boston or Dallas either. ;-)
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meredydd
Ah, thank you for pointing out the 1-day difference in holiday dates. I had been doing a bit of head-scratching about the dates in some of the things I was reading, and kept checking to see if I had the 2019 dates correct.

I will consider renting a car. As a solo driver who (a) is not aggressive, and (b) does not speak/read Hewbrew, I am a bit hesitant. But then, I don't like driving in Boston or Dallas either. ;-)
No problem. All the signs are in English, so that isn't the problem. The drivers are aggressive, though. Check out Trip Advisor's Israel forum (very active) -- you'll see that lots of Americans successfully rent cars in Israel.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, the TA Israel forum seems a bit more active than Fodor's!
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Yes. Fodor's unfortunately does not have a lot of help about Israel. Trip Advisor Israel Talk Forum is the site to go to for expert advice.