Search

HONEYMOON IN DUBAI & EGYPT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 1997, 07:59 AM
Alan Reynolds

HONEYMOON IN DUBAI & EGYPT

I returned on Friday from 5 days in Dubai. It was a winter sun break. It lived up to that though a chill wind blew in the evening. I was based in Deira (the east side of the creek). The InterContinental Hotel is first class but at a price (Sterling 100 off season). Most holiday packages will book you into Chicago Beach resort or one of the others further in the direction of Abu Dhabi. These are 30 Km or more out of Dubai town where the famed shopping is. There is not an awful lot to see in the Dubai Emirate though the 4WD trip up the wadis is fun. Dubai Airport duty free is NOT that special. It is over-hyped. Frankly London Heathrow has got a MUCH better range of outlets. I think Dubai duty free has not caught up with what the rest of the world has been doing this past 10 years. Have a good trip

Old Feb 2nd, 1997, 09:59 AM
l.martin

Be wary of your Nile cruise ship I've heard some people are really disappointed when they get aboard. However our ship was excellent and the tour guide couldn't have been better--just check out you ship as well as possible. We began in Aswan and travelled up to Luxor. Flew from Luxor to Cairo where accomadations were luxurious (comparatively speaking ) at The Hotel SemiRamis and also the Nile Hilton. The Mena house at Giza is also nice but old but the scenes of the Pyramids would be inviting. Egypt can be intimidating and if you have not traveled much I would suggest planning some ahead of time with a credible agency--things get so mixed up sometimes! We have traveled quite a bit and it was reassuring that our tour agent met us at the airport and got us to the hotel with no haggling! Check the size of the tours because some looked to be in the 100's and we only had 3!!!!! Egypt is a fabulous country and I want to go back!! Besides, there is a gold and lapis bracelet in the market at Cairo that I didn't buy and now I want it!!!HA!

Old Mar 21st, 1997, 08:20 PM
FERNANDO LOMELI (Mexico City)

I AM TRYING TO PLAN A TRIP TO EGIPT, I THINK THE BEST WAY IS FLY TO PARIS OR MADRID, STAY THER 1 OR 2 DAYS, THERE FIND A TRAVEL AGENCY FOR BUY A TRIP TO EGIPT INCLUDING A RIVER CRUISE. I DON'T KNOW IF IS THE BEST WAY. CAN YOU HELP ME TO PLAN MY TRIP.
THANKS
FERNANDO

Old May 7th, 1997, 08:22 PM
Simrin

Tanya and Terry-- if you two haven't left yet, here is my input:

1) if you're going on a tour, book it before you go. Much less hassle.

2) the Cairo Sheraton is wonderful, but you'll stay wherever your tour company books.

3) even if it costs you extra money, you simply MUST see Abu Simbel. The temples there are just as impressive as the Giza pyramids.

4) when taking a taxi, set the fare before you get in. If you're not sure what a reasonable fare should be, ask your tour guide or ask someone at your hotel and they will ask the driver for you. Once the fare is set, be firm and don't pay any more if they ask you.

5) spend time in the Cairo Museum, Islamic Cairo, and the Khan-al-Khalili marketplace in addition to the Valley of the Kings and Queens in Luxor, and also Karnak and Aswan.

6) many restooms don't have toilet paper, so it would be wise to take some in your bag or backpack.

7) be sure to have plenty of 1 pound notes on hand for tipping purposes. Tipping is quite popular and in some cases, it's expected of you.

8) drink bottled water, not tap!! And don't order drinks with ice since the ice is made from the local tap.

I hope I've helped you...have fun!

Old Jul 6th, 1997, 10:44 PM
Pat Murray

Like you I am considering a trip to Dubai ( though I have no idea why that place and not somewhere else!). I assume by now you have finished the honeymoon and I wonder if you would mind giving me your impression of Dubai, the UAE and any advice you may care to offer. I am considering travelling there around Xmas.
Thanks in advance

Pat