ISRAEL,, HOW SAFE....? ?

Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:15 PM
BILL

ISRAEL,, HOW SAFE....? ?

I am not interested in hearing from tour agencies.. We will be in ISRAEL for the month of October, would appreciate hearing from a recent tourist's point of view on how they felt security wise..Obviously, we are not interested in the disputed areas ! At the present time, we are using Tel Aviv as a base, and taking day trips from there..

Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:37 PM
Mary

My cousins and some good friends just returned from 2 weeks there and had a great time. They never felt afraid, they also did not go to any of the west bank or Palastinian towns. The security there is second to none, and thats when there is no trouble so you can imagine how tight it is now. They did say there was a lack of tourists there. Guess you won't have to worry about crowds. I was in Isreal last summer and wish I could go back. We stayed in Jerusalem for the most part, and used that as our base. I'm not too crazy about Tel Aviv, but if your plans are firmed up you'll still have fun. Wait till you see Jerusalem. There really is no where on earth like it. We went with no tour or guide, but with the current situation, I don't know if I'd do that right now. Just make sure you don't wander off somewhere you shouldn't be. Isreal is so small, going one block sometimes in the wrong direction and you're in a disputed area. It happened to us last summer when we were driving all over the country, but then they weren't shooting at each other, so we would ask directions and get the hell out. Anyway, my cousins and friends felt very safe, but if your going on your own, just be careful.

Aug 4th, 2001, 06:37 AM
kang

Jerusalem should be the highlight of any itinerary for a first timer to Israel. Unfortunately, the city is in disputed area. I was in Israel last year, three weeks before the current conflict broke out. I felt perfectly safe around Jerusalem then, but wouldn't feel comfortable to go now. However, I don't remember, over the past 10 months, there has been any report about any tourist being harmed due to the conflict. It is a hard decision. But if you are not sure whether you would visit Israel again, then Jerusalem is a "must see".

Aug 9th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Faina

I travelled to Israel with my 16-year-old son and felt uncomfortable in the streets of Jerusalem. Tel Aviv is another thing - people walk alone, even young women, any time, day or night! Tel Aviv is safe! Just be prepared to open even a small purse for inspection at the entrance of any public place. Remember to try sh'warma if you are not a vegetarian, the best food. If you stay in a hotel they all have buffet breakfasts - better then USA dinners! Hagana museum is less advertised and is well worth visiting. Shalom!

Search this Thread