Reload this Page >

Jordan, Israel & Egypt in 18 days - info. needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 08:44 PM
Mabel

Hi there!! I will fly to Amman, Jordan on Sept. 25 to start my adventure in these 3 countries. I would love to receive any info., advice and tips on travelling to these countries! In return, for those who will visit these countries soon, please feel free to contact me to share and exchange info. and ideas. Thanks a lot for your help and hope to hear from you soon! CIAO!

Old Sep 9th, 1997, 06:56 PM
Simrin

You've got a great trip ahead of you! Ok, here goes:

Israel:

Tel-Aviv-- pretty city with nice beaches and restaurants. Don't miss Caesaria's Ruins.

Jerusalem-- there's so much to see here, but a few of the must see's are Dome of the Rock, Via Dolorosa, Al-Aqsa Mosque, Western Wall, Damascus Gate, and Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Visit Ben Yehuda street at night; it's a fun atmosphere with sidewalk cafes, etc.

Dead Sea-- you definitely have to take a dip. Don't miss the shops there that carry skin-care/beauty products made from Dead Sea minerals. (Try the facial cleansing cream!) There's also Masada which is quite interesting and the caves where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found. (The scrolls are in Jerusalem in the Shrine of the Book...I think this is the right museum!)

Dress modestly when visitng holy sites; make sure your shoulders and knees are covered. If you're going to visit the Western Wall during the Sabbath, no photographs!

--Drink bottled water, not tap.
--Before taking a cab, set the fare first.

Egypt:

Cairo-- it takes at least a week and a half to explore this city; it's really amazing. A few of the must see's are the Cairo museum, (give yourself 3 days to fully explore it), Giza Pyramids, Muhammad Ali Mosque and palace, the tomb of the Caliphs, City of the Dead, Khan-al-Khalili marketplace.

Karnak-- visit the temples and museum

Luxor-- visit the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsut's temple. Start early in the morning because it can get hot here and you'll be climbing up and down to get in the tombs.

Aswan-- the best place in Egypt to take a felucca ride. Do it at sunset; the view is unforgettable. There's also the ancient granite quarries and the High Dam

Abu Simbel-- even if it costs you a lot of extra money, I would definitely recommend this. The temples of Ramses are incredible and just as impressive as the pyramids.

--Same water rule as Israel. Don't order drinks with ice as it is made from the local tap.
--Keep plenty of one-pound notes on hand for tipping purposes.
--Same cab rule as Israel
--Keep some toilet paper in your bag as many public restrooms don't have any.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Old Sep 9th, 1997, 07:30 PM
Mabel

Simrin, thanks for your tips!!! ^_^

Old Sep 19th, 1997, 11:08 PM
Sharon

I just returned from a trip to Israel, Jordan and Egypt and I concur with the previous comments. Take some "click" type pens. The shopkeepers in the Egyptian Bazaars love these kind of pens and you can use them in your negotiations (be prepared to offer significantly less then the initial price, to sit a while and drink tea and listen to the shop owner talk about his brother who just visited New Jersey while you are "negotiating"). Also be prepared for how they drive in Cairo (lane markings are either not there or they are ignored and many cars drive at night without their lights on). These are extraordinary places. If you want to experience Egyptian food and not pay a lot of money, I recommend Felfela in Cairo (no credit cards) and you must try the desert called Om Ali (it is sort of a bread pudding). Hope you have a great time.

Old Sep 20th, 1997, 05:11 AM
Mabel

Sharon, thanks a lot for sharing your valuable experience with me!!

Old Sep 27th, 1997, 01:53 PM
Lisa

The water in Israel is perfectly safe. Israel is a highly developed country with high standards for cleanliness. I agree with all Simrin's suggestions for things to see in Israel. Some additions-- The Tower of David in Jerusalem, with a fascinating museum of the history of Jerusalem. The Israel Museum in Jerusalem for a great collection of Judaica from around the world ( The Shrine of the Book with the Dead Sea Scrolls is also here). The Armenian sector in the Old City of Jerusalem. The Burned House in Jerusalem for great archeology. Speaking of archeology, some personal favorites are the Synagogue at Bet Alpha, Tziporris (spelling?), and Tel Arad. If the weather is warm, Rosh Hanikra in the extreme north is neat-- caves cut by the sea that you can explore. In the extreme south, the snorkeling at Eilat is incredible. If you don't want to get wet, go to the offshore observatory where you go down into a glass enclosed building in the coral reef to see incredible coral and tropical fish. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 10:15 AM
jennifer nacif

i am planing to go to egypt with my family for new years do you think it is a good idea. mysisters are 23and 26 my dad is 52years old. we are thinking of taking the cruise on the nile is it better for 4 or 6 nights which is the best cruise and which are the best hotels. thank you in advance.

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 06:50 PM
Simrin

Jennifer-- an exellent hotel is the Cairo Sheraton. I've heard the Nile Hilton is nice but I haven't stayed there. As far as Nile cruising goes...it depends on how long you'll be in the country. If you have a couple of weeks, then I would suggest doing the cruise for about 3 or 4 nights. If you don't have much time in the country, I would recommend skipping it. You'll find that you'll want to spend more of your time exploring on land. Have a great, safe trip.

Old Oct 1st, 1997, 02:41 PM
Paula

Jennifer-
If you want to stay directly downtown the Nile Hilton is the spot - it is right next to the Egyptian Museum and is in the busiest square in Cairo. It is expensive $150. The Intercontinental is around the block and faces the Nile. It is about the same money. Shepheards is in the same area and is cheaper but is a little rundown compared to the newer Hotels. Cario Marriott is built on top of an old palace so the public rooms are rather ornate.

My special favorite is the Mena House in Dokki - about 1 hour from Cairo (heavy traffic.) Where else can you step from your room onto a balcony that overlooks the Pyramids. It is about a block from the Pyramids.

You can take a 4 or 5 day cruise; cruises tend to structure your tour. You cruise, get off, cruise again. If you want to see more of the country then land transportation is the best.

You should book your tour soon if not already since the holidays are very busy. Does it have to be the holidays - you pay a premium for this time frame when if you delay a week or go a week earlier the cost is substantially less.

E-mail me if you need any help - I have been there every year since 1985!

Old Oct 2nd, 1997, 08:40 AM
l.martin

In Egypt the Nile cruise is a must. Ours was the Ramses King of the Nile booked thru Naggar tours and was pretty nice. Flew from Cairo to Aswan and cruised up to Luxor and then back to Aswan. All the above info is good--take the cruise, you will see so much! In Cairo we stayed at the Nile Hilton and have also stayed at the SemiRames Intercontinental and Le Meridien (close to airport). Preferred SemiRames. If you need more particulars, e-mail me. Have fun! (p.s. we went in August)

Old Oct 15th, 1997, 07:31 AM
Liad Weissman

in Israel don't miss Eilat, it is located in south of Israel, it is a all year city, with a lot of hotels.
on your way to Eilat stop at Beer Sheva Thursday market,U can walk to the market from the main bus station. don't stop in Beer Sheva if it is not Thursday u have nothing to do there.

Old Mar 5th, 1998, 11:21 AM
Allison

Mabel, some tips for your trip. Of course you will go to Petra, be sure to start the day early! It really takes at least one day to see it, you will want to stop and gaze at everything! It costs $30 for one day, but you can get two days for just a little more ($5?). If you take a cab out of Petra, don't agree to pay extra for the King's Highway. Just a note, every time you leave Isreal you must pay $20. When I was there, we spent three days in Jerusalem, took the bus to Elait (4-5hrs) - Elait is your tipical big hotel beach town (Cancun, Florida, etc-Burger King, Ben and Jerry's, Sbarro Pizza, etc) we only spent the night and then crossed the boarder to the Sinai -excellent! You walk across and then sit and wait for more people who are going south(makes the ride cheaper). We went to an EXCELLENT place called El Magana! It is not near anything, just 30 huts on the beach ($3-5) a night!
It was beautiful and sooo relaxing! You can continue on to the rest of Egypt from there, or go a little farther south and catch a boat to Aqaba, Jordan (avoid reentering and exiting Isreal - less expensive!) From Aqaba it is about 4-5 hours back to Amman. Have a wonderful time!! I wish I were back there!

Old May 20th, 1998, 08:30 AM
Aimee Low

hi, I agree with all of the above messages for travel to Israel, Jordan and Egypt, and I have a few more recommendations: While in Jerusalem be sure to visit the Garden Tomb- it is in East Jerusalem, about one block north of Damascus Gate, and is truly an amazing place. Be sure to climb the Lutheran Tower in the Old City (about 2 shekels), the view is great. The Mount of Olives is worth the visit as well- there are about 4 churches, and the view of the city is spectacular. At the bottom take a minute in the Garden of Gethsemene. Be sure to spend plenty of time in the Old City, it is fascinating. and talk to the merchants and locals- most speak English and are very friendly- oh, and never pay first price for anything. While in Jordan be sure to visit Petra, and if you have time and like Roman ruins, the ancient city of Jerash is definately worth it. Also, if you get a chance, visit the Sinai Peninsula (Egypt) and climb Mt. Sinai. That is an incredible experience. The hike starts near St. Catherine's Monastery. You'll want to go at about 3am, and that way you can watch the sunrise from the top, and you'll also miss the heat- but dress warm for the hike- Mt. Sinai is cold up on top, even in the summer. (especially before the sunrise). I spent 3 and half months in Jerusalem and surrounding areas, so if you have any more questions or want details, don't hesitate to write me. Jerusalem is absolutely amazing- You will have such a great experience.

Old May 24th, 1998, 04:56 PM
shula kantor

I am interested in walking tours in Jerusaleum and a tour to bethlehem. I am coming with 2 young friends in Sept.

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 04:44 PM
Marie Schoeny

We are looking for a guided tour of Egypt for no more than 2 weeks next Feb. I've received information from Saga Tours but I can't find anyone who can tell me where they rank in tour companies. We took a Globus tour of Europe several years ago and enjoyed it but wondered if Saga was about the same level or better or worse. I know Saga Tours is only for those over 50 years old. We are -- barely. Any feedback to help us decide whether we should go with Saga Tours or keep looking for another tour company would be appreciated. Thanks. ...Marie

Old Feb 11th, 1999, 10:36 AM
David

Anybody familiar with resorts on the South Sinai? We have heard there are some nice ones. what is the weather like in August. Any suggestions for kids in Israel and down to the Sinai. What is the best mode of transport to South Sinai-bus or rental car? <BR> <BR>DB