Israel/Egypt

Feb 29th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Dick

Israel/Egypt

Have Globus tour for mid-June for 4 of us. Any pointers especially for Egypt? Wife and two daughters 13 and 17. Any responses to Nile cruise would also be appreciated.

Apr 3rd, 2000, 02:47 PM
Michelle

On tours people think or are told that it is OK to wear shorts and tank tops, but it is not. Egypt is a muslim country. For women and girls, minimize physical and verbal harassment, cover flesh including arms, legs, shoulders, backs and upper chests. Egyptian men rarely wear shorts so male tourists should follow suit and cover their legs and upper bodies, too. Wear lightweight, loose (not tight/revealing), breathable fabrics. On tours, you are somewhat insulated from the negative response of the Egyptians to inappropriate dress of tourists. Women/girls travelling alone experience more harassment than women travelling with husbands or fathers.

Apr 5th, 2000, 05:39 PM
Rosemary

Dick, I just returned from Egypt with a group. We were on the M/S. Montasser. Egypt is an awesome destination, but something went terribly wrong on this ship, and nearly all of our group got terribly ill. Members of our group visited with people from another ship (Sonesta) where no one had become ill.
June is very hot. Very hot, and your chances of getting sick are greater when it's hotter. I'd consult my doctor before I went. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Rosemary

Apr 6th, 2000, 05:12 PM
Karen

My husband and I went on a Globus tour to Egypt last April and it was GREAT! We both wore conservative shorts (long and loose) and T-shirts with some sort of sleeve without any problems. I would strongly discourage tank tops for your wife and daughters. We also wore casual slacks or long skirts for evenings. I would recommend loose clothing, not tight or revealing. Conservative is the custom.

In April, the temperature in Cairo was a high of 80 during the day. In Abu Simbel (which you MUST see) was over 100. See the wonderful light/sound show at the pyrimids. The Nile cruise was wonderful; they had just remodeled where two cabins were turned into one (two baths, king bed, sitting area; all are window cabins).

We only ate where recommended by our guide; others got sick in places not recommended. Don't even think about drinking tap water. Brush your teeth with bottled water. Bottled water is everywhere; hotel, restaruants, even the bus driver. Wear really, really, really comfortable shoes that keep the sand out. Have fun haggling with the vendors. Pack light because T-shirts are everywhere.
Like anywhere else, respect their customs and they will respect you.
HAVE REALLY GREAT TIME!!!!

Search this Thread