Island lodges

Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Island lodges

We'll be traveling to South Africa from the US end of October/beginning Nov.
I haven't been able to find too much feedback here on luxurious island lodges off the coast of Africa. Our travel agent suggested Marlin or Benguerra lodge. Anyone been to any great beach destinations in close proximity to S Africa? We considered Seychelles, but the flying time was off-putting coming from the States.
Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:14 PM

Buffy: Sorry that I don't have the experience yet but I will be going to Benguerra Lodge in November for part of my honeymoon. Everything I have read about it sounds awesome and they were very helpful when I booked with them.
Aug 4th, 2004, 03:27 AM

Unfortunately, Benguerra Island is the closest island to RSA. To hit Mnemba or Mauritius is a longer flight. Mauritus is only a 2 hr longer flight though, so if budget is no concern, be prepared to have your socks knocked off. We have sent one couple to Marlin Lodge (he's a fisherman)and they had good things to say about it. I was somewhat hesitant to send clients to Mozambique; the old government had tortured an acquaintence for 2 years, but the clients had a good time. If you are willing to travel a little longer and want luxury, Mauritius has several (and growing daily) truly world class facilities. I would love to hear more about your trip to Benguerra Lodge when you return Predator.
Aug 4th, 2004, 07:59 AM

I will definitely post all about Benguerra Lodge and the Bazaruto Archipalego following my trip. Benguerra is supposed to be very upscale -- I have seen it called one of the nicest lodges in all of Africa but who knows until you experience it. I selected it because it has the natural environment feel, and very few people in a national park/removed type setting. I prefer this atmostphere to big hotels on the beach and people everywhere. I looked at Mauritius and had that anywhere in the world resort feeling -- I'm sure that's not quite accurate but I think it's much more that way than the Bazaruto Archipalego where few Americans and Europeans travel. Also, the quality of the reefs and underwater world are considered exceptional -- possibly the best in all of Africa.

As with many African countries the war times were tragic in Mozambique but I have heard that they in general are some of the warmest, friendliest, and most beautiful people on the continent -- not to mention they brew the best beer.
Aug 4th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

We also prefer quiet spots with less of a resort feel. For me, quality of accomodation is half the trip, though. There was one other lodge that looked new, called Londo Lodge, but I could find no pictures of the actual accomodations. From what I understand, Marlin lodge is not considered as upscale as Benguerra, but they have just renovated their chalets, so might be considered a good comparison? I would still love any feedback from anyone regarding any beaches off the coast of Africa!
Aug 4th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

PS - I looked into Maruitius as well, but since we'll be spending a week at Singita and Ulusaba, I wanted this part of the trip to be the lesser of the two, cost-wise.

Search this Thread