Is Victoria Falls worth seeing in late Oct

Sep 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Is Victoria Falls worth seeing in late Oct

Hi, I am planning a trip to South Africa in in about three weeks. One of the stops was in Zambia for 2 nights to see Vic Falls and do some aventure activities. I am concerned that it isn't worth the money to see the Falls in Oct when they are dry. Can anyone let me know if you've been to the Falls during this time of year and was it worth it?
thanks!
Sep 19th, 2005, 01:36 PM

You ahve been well advised. Regrettably the falls viewed from Zambia at this time are dismal and a huge disappointment. However if you are there you can cross the Zambezi bridge and view them from Zimbabwe where they are quite spectacular. Naturally and since you'll be crossing the political border you will need to shell out the $30 for an entry visa into Zim.

Alternately you could take a boat trip to Livingstone island, which is on the fringe of the falls (access from Zambia) and see the falls from that angle, which is quite amazing.

Just BTW: If it is of no consequence to you and you can switch your itnerary to include the Zim side, you can enjoy all the adrenaline activities from Zimbabwe too. And if you are planning on running the zambezi you have the added advantage of an additional rapid, the Zambian rafters start below rapid #1.
Sep 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Having no idea of your budget and how much extra it will cost you to visit the Falls, it is difficult to answer your question, but, FOR MY MONEY, the Falls is worth it anytime! Consider Mkhonzo's advice. ZZ
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:11 AM

Hi ibanion, I just returned yesterday from Zambia. I visited the falls, they were pretty, but not the huge amount of water you might expect. The rafting was excellent according to several different people who I spoke to that did it. Each of the 3 groups I spoke with averaged falling out 2 times per person going down the river, but they loved it. The ultralight over the falls and game park was great, not scary but very beautiful. If you are into bungee jumping it looked fabulous, but I'm too chicken to do it. If you aren't going to do the adrenaline activites, I would probably skip the falls and stay somewhere else for those 2 nights. I stayed at Stanley Safari Lodge, very nice, great service rooms very romantic, but no animals due to an electric fence surrounding it. Have fun.

Search this Thread