Is travel to Turkey really safe?

Dec 8th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Emma

Is travel to Turkey really safe?

I have booked a tour of Turkey for this spring.I booked this trip over 5 months ago before the latest problems in the Middle East. This week the NYTimes ran an article about deepening financial problems with political overtones. Should I back out now before I loose all my money?

Dec 9th, 2000, 05:49 PM
Susan

We were in Turkey, just the western Mediterranean coast, for a week in September and absolutely loved it. We had originally thought we'd spend 3 weeks there, but had been wanred that it was dangerous, especially for Americans (we live in Canada, I'm Canadian, but my husband is American). We ended up spending 2 weeks in Greece and 1 week in Turkey. Although we loved our time in Greece, Turkey was amazing and I'd go back in an instant. The people were friendly, prices were extremely reasonable, there was so much to see and do. It's a fascinating country and I'm planning on going back again for a longer trip.

Dec 10th, 2000, 05:32 PM
Lisa

Emma:
We were in Turkey in November and everyone was most warm and friendly. Saw nothing of any "danger" and would not hesitate to travel there. If you wait for things in the Middle East to straighten out, you will never get there. What is going on in Israel shouldn't have any impact on Turkey - or Jordan either, which we also visited.
Your tour operator is not going to take any chances either. Go, have fun.

Dec 12th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Al

We have traveled widely in Turkey and have never encountered any problems whatever. People everywhere were interested, friendly, helpful, kind, and anxious to please. The food was superb, the hospitality was overwhelming, and the scenery was gorgeous. If you have specific questions, email us directly. You will have a marvelous journey; you can bet on it!

Search this Thread