Is travel to the Holy Land "safe"?

Aug 6th, 1998, 07:26 AM
Jeannie

Is travel to the Holy Land "safe"?

Our church is planning a trip in Nov. Another local has cancelled theirs worried about safety. Should we do the same? What about extra days in Eygpt?

Aug 9th, 1998, 10:55 AM
m-alfayed

hello jennie
this is mohamed from cairo egypt yes its save to visit the holly land and you will miss alot if you wont visit the pyramids you will be very close.

we are not a travel agency we are a group of students how like to help tourist teach them and learen from them
if you need help contact :
[email protected]

Aug 24th, 1998, 11:44 AM
Yael

Hi Jeannie!!
my name is Yael and I leave in Israel.
I think traveling in Israel is like traveling in any other country - it's not more dangerous.
if you like, send me an E-mail and I can tell you specifically about every place you will be at.

Sep 21st, 1998, 08:39 AM
Angela

Jeanie,

a group form our church stayed in Naxareth for 3 weeks in July and had a great time. We opted not to travel to Egypt, if you have time, head to Jordan. There are lots of christian hospices in Jerusalem that are great. Not sure if you are following an itinerary or what. If you wish more info. pls. feel free to contact me and I'd love to igve you some more ideas. Don't miss out on this, it's a beautiful country!

Sep 30th, 1998, 01:54 PM
Carol

Hi Jeannie,
I certainly hope u do not cancel your trip, I have been to Israel three times and have never felt unsafe. I have walked the streets at night and never had a problem. I think that as long as you follow advice of the tourist office as to where it is safe to go and where not to you should be fine and as you are with a group I am sure they have researched where the unsafe areas are.
Although they do have a problem with bombs being planted in public places, tourists are not targeted as they are in Egypt. Israel is a wonderful country and not to be missed. I caught a public bus from Jerusalem to Egypt and joined a small tour group in Cairo and had no problems at all. I think you should go and enjoy and try not to worry too much, just be sensible about where you go and I am sure you will have a wonderful time and never regret not missing such a wonderful trip.
Hope you have a great time.

Oct 7th, 2000, 05:40 AM
sandi

Just wondering about "normalcy" for persons who are travelling to the Holy Land in October and November of 2000. Anybody just returned from here? Does daily life for tourists seem as "normal" as could be expected, on any other vacation? Relatives are going in November. Thanks!

Oct 18th, 2000, 09:02 AM
carol

Hello Mohamed. I have tried to e-mail you, but my e-mail is always returned. Could you please repost your correct e-mail or e-mail me directly so that I can contact you? Thank you.

Oct 18th, 2000, 10:18 AM
be careful

Carol:
Mohamed Alfayed is a phony Email!
That was a cruel joke; Remember Pricess Diana's boyfriend's
father's name is the same.

Oct 23rd, 2000, 03:26 AM
Lori

Personally, I would postphone a visit to Israel at this time (the tourism board would kill me for writing this, but...). While, I walk the streets comfortably in Tel Aviv. I would think that you would want to see Jerusalem which I would not go to the old city (where most of the sites are) at this time. Bethlehem is a definite NO as well. Yes, there are many other things to see in Country, but Jerusalem is the star.

Oct 31st, 2000, 06:18 PM
donna

I was scheduled to go on a tour to Israel in December. Now no one in my family feels safe enough to go. How are things in Jerusalem? We would be spending about 5 days there?

Nov 13th, 2000, 03:14 PM
Deb

We have a trip planned in January and wonder also about our safety. Can anybody email me with their trip information and good or bad experiences. Would love to hear from you!!!!

Nov 13th, 2000, 03:21 PM
Deb

We are planning a trip in January and would like to know or hear from anyone recently there as to security and safety. And any other information....food....anything of interest. flights....travel agency info...love to hear from you at my email address!!!

Nov 17th, 2000, 06:33 PM
Kayla

I am dating someone who is from Israel and I'm currently planning a trip to Egypt. The guy I'm dating thinks Egypt will be fine. He recommends against going to Israel at this time.

Jan 1st, 2001, 02:50 PM
Caroline

I was in Jerusalem and all over Israel in May/June with family. All went extremely well. I would go back tomorrow despite the problems. Stayed at a wonderful place in Jerusalem, a few minutes walk from the old city. Beautiful garden and arched stone. The old cathedral compound. Incredibly reasonable with a caring staff who will take complete care of everything you could possibly need. Let me know if you want any more details, numbers, etc. Caroline

Jan 5th, 2001, 02:08 AM
muhammed

dear jeannie,

israel,jordan,egypt is very safe at the moment.out of our experience as tour operators we are still getting groups from various parts of the world.

Jan 8th, 2001, 02:43 AM
Riche

Hi Jeannie
We asre tour operators in Africa and Middle East and I have just returned from 2 weeks in Egypt and Jordan.
At present we are not recommending travel in Israel but, by November, it will probably be OK again.

Jordan and Egypt are safe. We are currently sending up to 40 persons per week into Egypt and a smaller number into Jordan.
Visit our website
www.tourism.to
and write if I can assist you.
Best wishes
Riche

Jan 8th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Laurie

I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Israel and never felt threatened. It's great for a tourist now as there are very few tourists and hotels have a low occupancy rate or in some cases are closed due to lack of tourists. Both Israels and Palistinians were very friendly. Unfortunately many people (both Palestinians and Israels) are out of work due to the current sitution as tourism is a key industry there. The main places visited were Jerusalem, Nazareth, Dead sea, Tiberias and Bethleham.
I would go again in the near future if I had the opportunity

Feb 5th, 2001, 09:52 AM
fran

my husband and I were in Israel the first week of jan. we felt very safe, spent spent the nights in Jerusaleum,a full day in the old city as well and Bethlehem with an arab guide. your israli guide may be able to arrange the same type visit. hotels were empty and very few tourist. security is very good, go for it and have a great time...

Nov 2nd, 2001, 06:53 AM
Fred

We went with our church group in August. No problems for us, we were in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth, all over the Gallillee. The newspapers mentioned troubles in Gaza, but tourists don't go Gaza. Just like when you travel to New York or London, there are areas not to go to. Plan to spend serious time in the Gallillee, for example Nazareth, Kana, Tiberias and also non-religious places like Acre. Many of the people in the Gallillee are Arabs who are Israeli citizens and very welcoming of tourists.

Search this Thread