israel/mid november

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 08:18 AM
shelley

israel/mid november

Hi,
I'm going to Israel in mid november. Am I crazy? What to wear? Winter wools (light weight or summer cottons?

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 02:22 AM
Eli

Shelley, Middle Eastern cliamte is mild. This means that November may require light long sleeves dresses during day time, with a woolen sweater for evenings or early mornings. If you plan to stay in Jerusalem allow for extra warm cloths during nights and mornings. As to whether you're crazy, it's a matter of taste. This message is being written from Israel, and I feel relatively sane, so far...

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Faina

Shelley, if you going to Jerusalem try to wear modest clothes, like long skirt, long sleeve. I think my teenage son was the only one there to wear snickers, everybody else was wearing comfortable, but formal shoes. In Tel Aviv anything goes

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Walter

Shelley, I am going to Israel in a couple of weeks. I will not let terrorists change my plans, whether they
are Saudi Arabian, or Palestinian. You will have great time. America will learn
too, that life goes on despite terrorist
outrages. I certainly would not go to countries like Egypt, that have hatred running deep, of Americans, Jews, etc.
Leave some room for shopping, especially
in Tel Aviv. There is no problem wearing jeans, sneakers etc. in Jerusalem, except for a few very specific areas that you may not even go to.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 11:01 PM
tim

Walter-
Since you feel strongly against visiting Egypt, a country with deep hatred of Americans and Jews, why then would you want to visit a country that since it's inception has had a tyrannical gov't that has been responsible for the oppression of thousands of people?

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Ruth

Walter I think Shelly's concerns about travel in Egypt are only a concern in this period of war. How dare you slander that countries reputation and then in the very next sentence tell her about shopping in Teliviv. No guilt over the blood of Palestinians Walter?... shame on you. This is the stem of the hatred you are experiencing lets shop while people are being murdered.

I am not saying you have to stay away completely but sounds like you do need some sensitivity training. My prayer if I was the praying type is that both sides work for and acknowledge the need for peace. Seems to me there are just as many Israeli's who don't want peace Ariel Sharon, Netanyahu, and weirdo rightist fringes like Yigal Amir. Don't know what country you are writing from Walter but here in New York City many of us are sitting on pins and needles waiting for Sharon to blow us all away with his next moment of hate filled violent stupidity....sorry had to react to your ignorance.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Sarah

Shelly in another time Egypt as well as Israel would be a wonderful trip. I do think it is unwise for you to travel to Egypt at the moment. Do you really want to see all that tyranny raining down on Palestinians? Sharon is a war criminal to my understanding the worst anyone has ever seen in that part of the world and now he is running the country in one of it's most turbulant times. Feel so bad for thinking Israeli's who will suffer under his rule. Do you want to get caught in the cross fire? Whatever your understanding of what is happening in the world the state department has issued a warning against traveling to Israel and the West Bank. With this I have to conclude yes you are crazy to go to Israel at this time.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:23 PM
helen

hi, i am going to Israel in Nov. we are not crazy!! the weather is ; blue sky and a nation that dreams of peace! you need fall like clothes, and have fun!!

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Ross

ok helen let's replace crazy with self-centered and stupid. I don't know shelley how can we deny what is happening in that part of the world and vacation. Hey anybody up for a trip to the Congo?

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 05:03 PM
helen

hi ross, you are looking for a fight, but i will not fight you. i am going to israel because i love israel and i like to spend my money there! with all that is happening over there they still know how to have fun. i pray every day for peace , and hope to see that the day.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:57 AM
David

Can any of you read? Shelley did not ask about Egypt, someone else raised the issue. Why are you all discussing whether Shelley should go to Egypt.

And to Ruth, Tim and you're ilk, Sharon is bad, Arafat is Ghandi blah blah blah. Blowing up innocent civilians in a disco or pizza parlor are fair targets or in any way excusable?

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 10:26 AM
Michele

Gee, and I thought this was a travel forum, not a political forum.

What in blazes does it matter where a person decides to vacation and at what time? Whose business is it, anyway? If you feel strongly about not going to Israel at this time, then don't go. Seems pretty simple to me.

But don't brow-beat some one who chooses to go.

Let's talk travel, and leave the politics for another board. SHEESH!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:20 PM
BILL

HI SHELLEY,
My wife and just returned last night from Israel.We spent three weeks in Tel Aviv, using it as a base for touring.We enjoyed ourselves greatly.We were, VERY warmly received eveywhere we went.We did not see or notice any problems,anywhere we went.We lucked out for a hotel, it could not have been better,50 yards to the beach,which was uncrowded.The service we received was second to none.We walked evreywhere,day and night,along with the rest of the people.I can not,explain how safe and secure we felt in Israel.We live in a small Canadian city,that does not,give me the same feeling, that we felt in Israel.
In all of our travels,we have never been told "we are so happy,you came to Israel", this was told to us ,on many, many occasions.If ,we can assist you on any other matter, please feel free.
You are not craxy, go, don't listen to those previous idiots.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:30 PM
blake

Hi Shelley...
I/m actually going to Israel on the 3rd and though a few additional security precautions need to be taken, you shouldn't be worried about anything other than respecting a few cultural differences (as to avoid offending anyone). Common sense, like taking your shoes off in a Japanese home. In fact, it is probably safer to "party" in Tel Aviv than anywhere else in the world. I wouldn't overly advertise your nationality, but then again, fanatic lunatics walk amongst us even in the US. Be sure to check out the many cool bars,clubs and restaurants downtown. I would be careful in the "holy" areas shared by multiple faiths. They can be a little overwhelming at times for us Yanks! hope this helps!

B/R,
B

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:17 PM
knows better

Hi! Sorry to disagree with the last poster. The people I know who live in Israel are very cautious now. I would avoid crowded places....clubs, theatres, bus stations, busy restaurants,etc. This might sound harsh to you, but those suicide bombers love crowded places where innocent people are enjoying themselves. My son was in Tel Aviv last June and could easily have gone to that club the Friday night it was bombed. I was a nervous wreck, until I spoke to him and found out he was alright. He was on a leadership trip, and they were VERY careful after that and kept the group away from the cities and crowds. If you go, be extra careful. Be safe and have fun

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 06:38 AM
MH

Shelley, you are not crazy. You will have a great time. Weather in Jerusalem is cooler than Tel Aviv. Especially at night (and usually breezy). Bring some long sleeve t-shirts and a mid weight jacket for night time. You also may want to bring a pair of shorts and some short sleeve t-shirts. Especially if you are going to the Dead Sea or to Eilat. You will not need HEAVY woolen clothing.

Jeans and tennis shoes are fine 99% of the time. If you plan on visiting some holy sights, you will need a long skirt and a long sleeve top.

You will feel absolutely safe there, there are risks in everything in life, even driving a car.

Israel is a great country. Enjoy.