Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Is this possible? Fly from Lobo airstrip to Arusha... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/is-this-possible-fly-from-lobo-airstrip-to-arusha-734853/)

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 12:40 PM

Is this possible? Fly from Lobo airstrip to Arusha...

... then transfer to Nairobi, and drive on to Lake Nakuru for an overnight? Or will it be necessary to have an overnight in Nairobi first before heading out for Lake Nakuru?

Similar question... is it a bad idea to plan for a flight from the Masai Mara back to Nairobi and catch an international flight on to Cairo in the same day? It's probably really unwise to try and drive back from the Mara for the same intention, in case of vehicle difficulty. I guess a plane could have the same difficulty, though. Probably good to have a buffer overnight in Nairobi regardless.

I haven't figured out anything about international flight schedules yet. Just thought someone would have a quick answer on this from past experience.

Time of year for my intended travel is October '08.

Thanks for your time... have a good weekend, everybody.

sandi Sep 7th, 2007 12:59 PM

From Lobo via Arusha to Wilson/NBO you won't arrive till about 3pm. It takes minimum 2/hrs to Nakuru and park closes by 6pm, so you wouldn't have any game viewing. I'd suggest o/n NBO and head to Nakuru first thing next morning. How long did you plan to spend at Nakuru?

As for flight to Cairo, depending on flight departure time, you can fly from the Mara to NBO (arrives Wilson 12:15pm) and make a connction to Cairo if flight at from 3pm or later.

I'd strongly suggest you keep all subjects regarding this trip under one thread or no one will be able to keep up with your plans... and it's easier for you as well.

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 01:32 PM

I just thought separate questions might be better listed in separate threads. But I see your point. Thanks.

I am really in a very confused and undecided state of mind. I readily admit that right off the bat. I think I get it figured out one day, and then the next day I don't know if it's the right answer. One day I think I'll keep the safari part of my trip to Tanzania only, and the next day I think I need to go ahead and include Kenya, too. One good thing is that I recently took Victoria Falls out of the picture. But Egypt is still in it. I am not as concerned about that (Egypt) right now, though.

If I overnight in Nairobi before departing for Lake Nakuru early the next morning, would it be sufficient to just visit the area, and continue on to the Mara Serena Lodge for the night? I would just like to witness with my own eyes the massive flock of flamingos that I've read about at Lake Nakuru. If an overnight is not necessary here just to see that, I'd rather move on, if time allows.

Again, I'm still not 100% sure I need to include Kenya in my trip (first two weeks October, 2008).

Right now (today), I am thinking I want my safari portion to look like this:

2 nights Arusha (a day trip to the N.P., hiking or canoing or both)

2 nights Tarangire River Camp (or Swala Camp as second choice)

2 nights Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge (a drive-through visit of Lake Manyara on the way there)

1 night Seronera Wildlife Lodge

2 nights Lobo Wildlife Lodge (I read a day-trip game drive to the Mara River is possible if staying here.)

(fly back to Arusha, van transfer to Nairobi, overnight in Nairobi)

2 or 3 nights at the Mara Serena Lodge, with a visit of Lake Nakuru on the way.

Fly or drive back to Nairobi, then fly on to Cairo for Egypt tour.

Please, any and all, feel free to criticize or suggest as you see fit.

Many thanks, and I'm sorry that this is redundant questions on the board.

sandi Sep 7th, 2007 02:04 PM

There's a big big difference in price between Tarangire River and Swala camps... big!!!

The Mara River in the northern Serengeti is way over the other side, opposite from where Lobo is located. It would be Sayari camp and more expensive than Lobo.

From Nakuru to the Mara is a 5-6/hr drive on lousy roads.

For beginning Oct, I'd visit the Mara. If you must visit the Serengeti no reason to go farther than Seronera.

While they may not yet be enforcing the 6/hr rule at Ngorongoro, October '08 is more than a year away, so you have to plan ahead as to number of crater floor visits.

ShayTay Sep 7th, 2007 02:11 PM

Ahh... I missed the "2008" part! :"> Thanks, Sandi.

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 02:41 PM

Wow... 5-6 hours from Nakuru to Mara is longer than I thought. Okay. That helps to know. I keep forgetting the speed limit factor, even though it looks a lot closer.

I just yesterday finally found some prices listed on Eben's website for Tarangire River Camp vs. Swala Camp. River Camp looks more than fine to me, for that one-time sleeping under canvas experience, and I'm hoping that I will be able to stay at that one.

Migration Camp was also on my radar, along with Lobo Wildlife Lodge (I know... REALLY BIG price difference here, too) because I read that full-day game drives were available to the Mara border from both places. I just thought that might be a nice alternative if I ended up skipping Kenya completely. Wasn't actually planning on overnighting in that area because Sayari Camp seems too pricey.

The Seronera Valley area sounds really inviting, the more I read about it, and a different type of landscape, so I thought it was worth my consideration, too.

Oh, and my traveling party is at a firm 3 now instead of just 2. Hoping to stay in triple accomodations if possible.

Thank you again, Sandi.

QueenofDaNile Sep 7th, 2007 03:08 PM

If your dates are flexible, you may want to see how the rates at Sayari differ between October & November. We pushed our days at Sayari into Nov 2007 because of availability & that, along with combining nights at Suyan, brought the price down a bit.

aby Sep 7th, 2007 10:30 PM

hi Idnas71

as for your title question - you can get to Nakuru for o/n
have an early morning game (flamingo) drive like you wanted, then breakfast and off you go to Mara.
Afternoon you can have your first Mara gamedrive

BUT i second <b>Sandi's</b> opinion:
better (more time) in Mara than going all the way to Lobo in early october. you'll do a lot of driving in the Serengeti while in Mara you'll see more wildlife per km...

In Seronera, a superb leopard country, you can maximize your chances in relations to Mara
special landscapes? do you mean the Kopjes (Inselbergs)? if so you can visit a few kopjes areas (Simba K. Barafu K. Maasai K. gol K.) before you come to Seronera

aby

Idnas71 Sep 8th, 2007 01:30 PM

Thanks, Aby. I think I would like to see the kopjes. Leopards would be awesome, too. (I had asked a separate question about finding the kopjes in the Mara a week or so ago.)