Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Is there anyway that Johannesburg justifies a 4 night stay???

Is there anyway that Johannesburg justifies a 4 night stay???

Feb 10th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Is there anyway that Johannesburg justifies a 4 night stay???

Don't know if my 2 Night Joburg/4 Night Botswana/4 Night Cape Town winning auction bid is going to stick because it was below a set reserve price. The sponsor of the trip, Orient Express Hotels, has the sole discretion of deciding whether or not to accept my bid since it did not meet reserve.
So, I am considering a combination of other auctions that would make up a nice trip (i.e., one auction has a 4 night stay at a top game reserve in the Sabi Sand / Kruger area, another auction has five nights in Cape Town at a 5* hotel, and another auction has a four night stay in Joburg at a 5* hotel).
Now I would have to stay in Joburg for a single night anyhow, and last year I did have a one night stay but due to a late afternoon arrival it didn't allow me any chance to see Joburg at all.
So, with that said, a 2 night stay appears reasonable, but is a 4 night stay reasonable, or just a waste of time??? Am I better off with more time in Cape Town, on safari or even possibly a three or four night stay in Europe or is there anything worth seeing in Joburg & surrounding areas???
Thanks.
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:22 AM
LizFrazier

Rocco-
Can't answer your question, BUT where are you finding all of these wonderful auctions? Are they all at the same site, or are there other auction sites? Thanks. Liz

Feb 11th, 2003, 03:21 AM

The thing about Jozi is that it's not a classic tourist destination. Most residents will admit an ambivalence towards the city. But one reason I enjoy living here is that the pace is so hectic you always know you're alive. Call me an adrenalin junkie hooked on my slow drip fix! Jozi has:
the friendliest locals (the stranger on the bar stool next to you will be happy to strike up a conversation)
great restaurants
lots of live theatres
fantastic shopping
museums
mineshafts
great jazz
markets
a genuine cultural melting pot
Always remember that the city was literally built on a pile of gold and it is now the business powerhouse of Africa, so the vibe is by nature pioneering, non-stop and tough.
As always it depends on what you enjoy doing on holiday. Jozi is an urban experience in the truest sense, you can go to Soweto and visit the famous Wandies shebeen, trawl through the Rosebank market on a Sunday, indulge in a retail feast in the Sandton precinct, visit the apartheid museum, view some of the oldest fossil finds at the cradle of humankind or go down a mineshaft. One thing you don't get elsewhere in SA is a good old fashioned highveld thunderstorm, in my opinion the pyrotechnics display is worth the trip! Much of what you find will be similar to major Western cities - but there is also that added flavour of Africa.
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:56 PM

For Traci_local in sa

Hi Traci! I'm Patricia from Canada(aka pattysuericia)and I just love sa-everything you say is how I feel with one unfortunate thing;I never got to Joburg although I flew back & fourth from there;I was based in Pretoria. A question for you-I heard that all the business has since moved to Cape Town and the locals I met all talked about Cape Town as "the" place! What is your opinion? Thanks, I love your country Patricia

Search this Thread