Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

travelling while pregnant and medical care in Egypt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! This is my first post but have enjoyed reading this forum for many years and know that this is the best place to find information. On to the question....My wife and I are booked on a private 11 day Egypt tour (nile cruise and the typical itinerary). We recently found out that she is pregnant, and will be just starting her second trimester when we leave on the trip. I have not yet found one person that wasn't hesitant about us going because of concern that the medical care might not be adequate if she were to have a problem. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? I'm not really concerned about Egypt itself...just the availibility of good medical care. We would hate to cancel a wonderful trip for no reason! Thanks in Advance!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM

First of all - Congratulations!

is this her first pregnancy? and how far into the second trimester will she be? what are the chances that there will be a problem? Have any of the women in her or your families had issues? and how has the pregnancy been so far?

Women have been having babies uneventfully for a very loong time, our bodies can handle it very well - I say go if she is in the second trimester. Most pregnancies are very routine, and the 2nd trimester is a great time.

But, get travel insurance in case you need to cancel, and watch the ice, unwashed veg and all that.

Have a great time! But, if you di decide to postpone - it is relatively easy to travel with a small baby - easier than with a bigger one. Especially if they are nursing - that equipment is very portable . I have had 3, including a set of twins, and we traveled with all of them. It is tough when they are toddlers, but the rest isn't so bad.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM

The main issue in Egyptian hospitalization is that nursing care is below standard. You might want to have a private duty nurse. Be sure you have a lot of information before you go.

I think the State Department web site has information about health care. The US Embassy hasa regional medical officer(RMO) in Ma'adi. See if you can contact that office.

Generally, Cairo has good health care for tourists and wealthy residents. Sharm's hospital should be fine for pregnancy problems.

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help and seems like a no brainer to check out the state dept. site. It had a list of recommended hospitals and doctors. As long as the doctor says my wife is healthy enough, we plan to go. I guess it'll be out last hurrah...good thing we did our safari last year! Thanks again!