Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Is there a :good, better, best" time for Central Serengeti? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/is-there-a-good-better-best-time-for-central-serengeti-720987/)

dreamseeker Jul 15th, 2007 10:50 AM

Is there a :good, better, best" time for Central Serengeti?

I'm thinking specifically the Seronera Wildlife?

Bill_H Jul 15th, 2007 11:05 AM

Maybe June or early July? After the rainy season so should be green, plus a good chance the wildebeest and zebra herds will be migrating thru, joining all the resident animals.

This is probably the most crowded area in the Serengeti though.

Bill

andybiggs Jul 15th, 2007 11:55 AM

I would say, based on the past 4 or 5 years, mid to late May until the last part of June would be the best time to be based in Seronera for the migration. When I was there about this time last month, around June 18th or so, the area north of simba kopjes to the west to moru kopjes, and all the way north to Seronera was completely spread out with wildebeest, topi and zebras. Then about 12 days later most of the migration was northwest towards the western corridor, and north of the road system and out of sight.

You never know what you are going to get with the migration, so set your expectation level so you are not putting all of your eggs in one basket.

LyndaS Jul 15th, 2007 12:07 PM

Last year at the beginning of June (June 4/5) we found the migration down by the Moru kopje, just heading in between the Serengeti and the Seronera.

This year in May (May 22/23) we found them all the way over by Duwa Plains, almost at Kirawira. They were relly spread out there though, it wasn't a concentrated migration like we saw last year.

dreamseeker Jul 15th, 2007 03:20 PM

Thanks all, that's cool info but since my chance of seeing the migration( only being there a couple of days)is pretty minimal,any other suggestions? I'd kinda like to go to Tarangire for elephant viewing and I guess that's not the best time for that. When you say crowded, I'm guessing you mean too many tourist?

sandi Jul 15th, 2007 03:33 PM

The wildies were in the West even as early as mid-May this year. They then moved back into the Seronera area and back again into the West. All between mid-May/end-June.

Yes, other tourists. This is an ideal time to visit the Serengeti.

dreamseeker Jul 15th, 2007 03:50 PM

I just went into the Africa Dream website-WOW-and they mentioned Seronera Private Luxury Camp(s), just how expensive is that? Sounds like a budget buster.

HariS Jul 16th, 2007 06:40 AM

Andy,

Hi! How about central serengeti when the migration is not around? Is it still good for the big lion prides/the other predators, resident game etc etc., or it is more a hit or miss at that time?

Thanks,
Hari

andybiggs Jul 16th, 2007 07:55 AM

Hari, the Seronera region of Serengeti National Park is one of the best locations in the world for predators, and there is a reason that most safaris end up in that area of the park. Even when the migration is not there, you will always find a higher density of vehicles in this area than in others. Fantastic location for resident wildlife, including birds of prey, big cats, elephant, giraffe, impala. The list goes on and on.

dreamseeker Jul 16th, 2007 12:49 PM

This is getting good-so if you can't hit it when the herds are there, is there a better place to lay down at night? For example, one of the camps or a lodge other than Wildlife. The most important issue for me is location not food or amenities.

HariS Jul 16th, 2007 07:37 PM

Thanks, Andy.... i am looking at Serengeti for Feb/March 2009.

Rgds,
Hari

pixelpower Jul 17th, 2007 12:40 AM

I agree with andy; June the latest. We were there beginning of July, but they were already in the west (and even further).

shanana Jul 17th, 2007 03:05 AM

just avoid seronera wildlife lodge my cousin was there and he complained of worn out towels and don't give a f staff.