Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is there a centrally located lodge between Lake Naivasha and Lake Nakuru?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if it was advisable to spend one night at each place or if there is a lodge or camp (moderately priced) between the two which might be conveniently located to visit both parks/lakes.

I understand the road is not good between the two so maybe that is reason enough to split up the stay with one night each.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM

There's Malewa River lodge and Malu which are both located north of Naivasha.

Where will you be coming from the previous day and how many game drives do you plan to do at Nakuru? If you're coming from the north and planning 2 game drives, I'd just spend 1 night at Nakuru and 1 night at Naivasha. Otherwise, you'll end up traveling back and forth over the same stretch of road multiple times instead of just once.

What did you have planned for Naivasha?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM

If on the other hand you're coming from Nairobi and just plan to make 1 visit to Nakuru, you could spend both nights in/near Naivasha and do Nakuru as a day trip to avoid 1 nighters.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Hello, Patty. Thanks for your suggestions. I would be coming from Nairobi. The majority of my safari will be in Tanzania, but I could not give up the idea of possibly seeing all those flamingos at Lake Nakuru.

As it stands right now, the plan (with Good Earth) is to drive to Lake Nakuru on my arrival day (early morning flight arrival), have a game drive that afternoon and another the following morning, then driving back to Nairobi to catch a 2:00 shuttle to Arusha.

The Crescent Island walking tour that I've read about here does interest me, also.

I just didn't want to pack up and switch hotels again if it really wasn't necessary. But I'm okay with that if it's the best way to go.

As of right now, this is the way the rest of my itinerary looks for mid-October, 2008. (About a month ago I was considering scrapping Africa altogether and going to Scandinavia, instead. So if you go back and see some of my past postings, that's why you'll see a few questions on that area for the same time period. Yes, I'm a little wishy-washy. A lot of it depends on finding willing travel companions.)

So, right now, this is what my itin. looks like.

Day 1 - arrive at NBO (after a few days stopover in Amsterdam, so it will not be such a harrowing flight.) Visit the Karen Blixen House, then drive to Lake Nakuru, afternoon game drive, overnight at Sarova Lion Hill Lodge.

Day 2 - early morning game drive, then drive to Nairobi to catch the 2:00 Riverside Shuttle to Arusha. Overnight Impala Hotel.

Day 3 - Full day visit to Arusha National Park. Overnight Impala Hotel.

Day 4 - Drive to Tarangire, afternoon game drive, overnight Tarangire Safari Tented Lodge.

Day 5 - morning and afternoon game drives, overnight Tarangire Safari Tented Lodge.

Day 6 - Drive to central Serengeti, afternoon game drive, overnight Seronera Wildlife Lodge.

Day 7 - morning and afternoon game drives central Serengeti, overnight Seronera Wildlife Lodge.

Day 8 - drive to northern Serengeti, afternoon game drive, overnight Lobo Wildlife Lodge.

Day 9 - morning and afternoon game drives, overnight Lobo Wildlife Lodge.

Day 10 - morning game drive, then to Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge for overnight.

Day 11 - morning crater tour, then drive to Arusha, overnight Impala Hotel.

Day 12 - Riverside Shuttle transfer to NBO airport.

So what I'm wondering about doing is adding an additional night in Kenya at either Lake Nakuru or maybe Lake Naivasha. Also wondering about adding a second overnight at the Ngorongoro Crater. And if I can secure a good deal on a flight that arrives in NBO and departs from Kilimanjaro, specifically a 9:00 p.m. flight home from Kilimanjaro, was also wondering about skipping the second overnight at the Impala Hotel in Arusha on Day 3, and doing the Arusha National Park visit on the last day since there would be some significant time to kill there.

The price I got quoted on that, by the way, as a private safari for two people, was $3,185 per person. It will cost an extra $185pp to add on the second night at Ngorongoro instead of staying in Arusha, if I get the open-jaw flight into NBO and out of Kilimanjaro.

Would welcome any further comments about any of this. Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Days 6 & 9 will be full days of driving, most on park tracks (not paved roads) .

From Tarangire to Seronera can easily take 8/hours, without stops for game viewing. From the Tarangire gate to Ngorongoro is 3/hrs; from Ngorongoro to Seronera is easily 5/hrs.

From Lobo in Northern Serengeti to Ngorongoro Crater can also take a full day of driving. From Lobo to Seronera is about 4+/hrs; from Seronera to Ngorongoro is another 4+/hrs.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM

There is Lake Elementaita Lodge between Naivasha and Nakuru, Maybe you can try that one out.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
aby

hi Idnas71

my thoughts:
1. meshamure is right! the lodge at Elementaita is the one in the middle you've asked for.

2. since you have to be out of the park at 18:00 or 18:30 you can still drive towards NBO - to either Elementaita or even Naivasha
(although night driving is not a big favourite in Kenya, as long as your travel company accepts this itinerary it's OK)

3. Do a long drive through Nakuru (Lunch - either a box or a stop at the lodge) & you can do Naivasha on the next day

my recommendation:
If you like full "dense"-type itineraries ( at least part of the time)
early start in NBO. Drive to Nakuru and immediately start a game-drive intil 12:30-13:00. Lunch + short rest until 15:00 & continue for a game drive until time permitted.
Better. if possible, to stay at Naivasha (close to the main road).
Next day- an early start of Crescent Island (possible also to visit Crater Lake ...) and drive to NBO

aby