Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Is the end of February a good time of year for southern Kenya?

Is the end of February a good time of year for southern Kenya?

Oct 4th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Is the end of February a good time of year for southern Kenya?

We are looking at Masai Mara and Amboseli - what are the average day and night time temps in these parks at the end of February? Will it be unbearably hot during the day? Does anyone know what the average elevations are? We're trying to use frequent flyer miles for our flights and it seems that the end of February is the only time with seats available. Thanks.
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:42 AM
sandi

February is considered a Summer month with warm to hot days and cool nights. Being located on the Equator the temps are generally constant year round, running in the 70s to lo-80s during the day, and 60s in the evenings and mornings. This can vary a bit depending on altitude, but not much. It is a good idea to have a sweater, jacket or sweatshirt for mornings and nights, then peel off for comfortable daytime clothing. Shorts are doable if hot in the afternoon, but as soon as the sun starts to set, early about 4:30-5pm, it can feel chilly on those legs. Many people swear by "convertible" khaki slacks that zip at the knee so you have both shorts and long pants all in one. If interested in these check Travel Smith, Magellan's or REI - all have websites.

Nairobi should be the only place at high altitude, over 5000' - where temps will likely be cooler then on the plains of the Mara or in Amboseli.

Oct 5th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your reply, sandi. I've read some of your other posts and you seem very knowledgeable about Africa. I posted another question under the heading of Kenya Itinerary (Short Trip) and was hoping to get some feedback on itinerary options as well. If you wouldn't mind checking out that post, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I'm having problems posting and viewing replies this morning. Please disregard the above comment!

Search this Thread