Is Tanzania overcrowded?

Oct 15th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Liz Frazier

Is Tanzania overcrowded?

I haven't been to Tanzania in 10 years and I understand it is much more heavily travelled by tourists now than when I was last there. I have read conflicting reports here that yes its overcrowded and no its not. Would anyone who has travelled there within the last 6 months only, please post here about how it appeared to you? I am considering going back for the migration in the southern Serengeti within the next few years and if it is overcrowded by vehicles and tourists, I'll just go back to South Africa where I know it isn't. My heart just longs to see the Wildebeest migration one more time. Thank you to all who are kind enough to relay your personal experiences here. Liz

Oct 15th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Dick

Difficult to comment on crowded or not. Need some type of standard to keep things in perspective. Having been there only once I really can not say. But, it was very nice at times to look around and see only one other vehicle and that one was the other half of our group. It was super to be able to check out a pride of lions and be the only group around. Definitely, other vehicles were more noticeable in N. Crater but then again the place is relatively small. Did note that early in the a.m. and on the end nearer to the N. Sopa Lodge we had the place much to ourselves. But, when we stopped for the early afternoon lunch break at the small lake with rest rooms there must have been 25 vehicles there. Our trip was in mid-June. Liz, my wife, daughter and I would go back in a heart beat if we could.
Dick

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:38 AM
GregP

We were in Tanzania the last two weeks of September. Except for the N. Crater, I didn't consider it crowded. We had lots of privacy in Tarangire and the Serengeti. And even though the crater was crowded (at times), it's so beautiful we didn't care.

Search this Thread