Is Tanzania as exciting as Botswana?

Jun 27th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Is Tanzania as exciting as Botswana?

Hello to all--
My husband and I were in Botswana on safari a couple of years ago, and it was undoubtedly the most superb trip we've ever had. We thought there'd be nothing better, but a travel agent we worked with said Northern Tanzania would be equally terrific. The problem is that we don't want to spend as much money! Is there a less expensive way to go to Tanzania in Feb '06 by staying in lodges? Any recommendations? I also have a friend who loves Kicheche Camp in Kenya. Any way to do both Kicheche and a decent trip to Northern Tanzania for about 10 nights at approx $2500 per person total? Thanks for any help! Beachmama
Jun 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM

While Botswana is my favorite place in Africa due to its beauty and wildness, Tanzania is my second favorite! The wildlife and scenery are fantastic. Kicheche Camp in Kenya is in the Mara and the Migration will be in the southern Serengeti in February, so I wouldn't go to the trouble of going there. For Tanzania, you might try Kibo Safaris ([email protected]) in Arusha. They have their own properties (www.africawilderness.com) and could probably set up something for you. Their rates are quite reasonable, as well. I used them when I put together a safari for a bank club.

Another option: Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) uses Kibo for their Safari Serengeti. They haven't started selling February 2006 yet, but it should be in the neighborhood of $4000+ including air from the US. I've done this trip with OAT and it was great. They get the best guides that Kibo has and do extras, such as visit a school, Maasai Village, etc. Their website is www.oattravel.com.

Search this Thread