Is Rovos Rail really luxurious?

Jul 29th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Is Rovos Rail really luxurious?

The Rovos Rail sounds like a marvelous alternative to flying. Are they as luxurious as the web site makes it sound? Are we allowed to smoke cigarettes in our own private compartment? We're looking for something upscale!
Thank you.
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Yes, the Rovos rail is really that good. We took the train last september from Jo'Berg to Cape Town and enjoyed every minute of the trip. You can smoke in your rooms and as I recall in some of the other cars in the train. They even had Cuban cigars available. It's a two night trip as opposed to the Blue trains one night trip and includes several excursions at the diamond mine and a smaller town sveral hours from Cape Town. My wife is a train buff and she thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The food is excellent and the staff is first rate. Go and enjoy.
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:22 AM

We were somewhat disappointed in Rovos Rail. We took the Pride of Africa train from Pretoria to Cape Town in 2001. Maybe it was the wrong choice of train. The accommodations were def. not that luxurious, plus our heater went out and we almost froze during the night. They seemed unable to fix it. You could actually see your breath in the car! We wouldn't do it again.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM

We have sent several clients on Rovos and all have loved it.

Search this Thread