is November a good time to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just playing and found ff seats to Cape Town leaving Nov 13 returning Dec 3. So we have until Saturday to decide whether or not to go. I know it is rainy season in Botswana and Zambia but I wondered about staying in South Africa and going to Kruger and the other parks there and/or going to Namibia.

We have not budgeted anything for this trip and need to have some idea what it would cost and where to stay. I am guessing around $10,000 for both of us but do not know if that is reasonable or high.

We have until Saturday to decide and I am up to my ears in work! What a distraction.

HELP!!!!

Thanks much
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM

We were in South Africa from November 22 - December 5 of 07. It was great. the camps were not full and We had the vehicle to ourselves. I know you can't count on weather, but we only had a sprinkle of rain one day.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM

We have been to SA twice, once in November and once in December. Both were fantastic. Go go go.

If you stay in Kruger for all or even part of the time then your budget is very generous. Kruger is great, and inexpensive. The camps are terrific. We like to spend part of our time there self-driving, and then go elsewhere, where someone else does the driving & spotting for us. Makes for a nice combination.

Sanparks.org has tons of info on Kruger & other parks in SA.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:54 AM

Kruger is fun. We have been there twice and will go back. You will see lots of elephants, buffalo, zebra, giraffe, impala, browsers and grazers. Predators, lion etc, are more elusive but you will see them. You can do Kruger for around $125 per day per person which includes car rental, the most expensive daily cost. The Kruger camps have nice bungalows which cost $70 per night, 2 people.

If your budget allows it you can also drive to Sabi Sand Reserve or the Timbavati Reserve and stay at a private camp. Such as MalaMala or Kings Camp. These private reserves border Kruger.

regards - tom
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM

Capetown daytime temps should be lovely, but the dark winds blow during this time... nights can be downright cold as you see those clouds roll in. Didn't keep us away though.

In Kruger, it was relatively hot and humid and some afternoons did bring amazing thunderstorms. But only lasted an hour, then beautiful skies. The evenings were delightful, though late game drives somewhat chilly. Camp vehicles did have blankets, if needed.

Botswana and Vic Falls were hot and humid; walked the Falls in a light shower, but we loved both areas.

Prices for air and accommodations are good at this time, occupancy is usually good/low. I'd say "go for it."