COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

is Nanyuki an OK stay for the flamingos?

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

is Nanyuki an OK stay for the flamingos?

just had an idea. if the main reason to visit Lake Nakuru is to see the flamingos, should I stay in Nanyuki, so I can fly in/out (& avoid the bad road between Nairobi & Lake Nakuru)?

I know the 2 are about an hour apart, but would I be able to expect that a typical game run out of a Nanyuki lodge, would include a trip to the Lake Nakuru flamingos?
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Hi jeanettehere,

Nanyuki is actually quite far off from Nakuru, it is near the equator. Are you proposing to fly from Nanyuki to Nakuru?
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

no, i thought a day trip from Nanyuki to Nakuru would work, but i was wrong on the travel time between the 2. I guess it wasn't as good an idea as ai thought. I'm just trying to avoid the Nairobi - Lake Nakuru drive at all costs. any suggestions?
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Nanyuki and Nakuru are more like 3 hours apart, so no it wouldn't be a good base.

Perhaps you were thinking of Naivasha and Nakuru which are about an hour apart? Aside from Nakuru, I believe you can sometimes see flamingo on Crater Lake (adjacent to Naivasha), but I don't know if they're resident year round and it wouldn't be in the same large quantities that you'd see at Lake Nakuru. The drive to Crater Lake from Nairobi would be slightly shorter than Nairobi to Nakuru but not by very much.

Perhaps someone else can give you an update on the progress of the road work between Naivasha and Nakuru. I believe this is the section being worked on. Nairobi to Naivasha should be fine.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM

That road has been repaired. But, can't say the condition today. Things don't always hold up as they should.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Patty you called it. I thought Nanyuki & Naivasha were one in the same. Nairobi, Nakuru, Nanyuki, Naivasha...i'll get it straight sooner or later

thanks everyone!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Naivasha to Nakuru road is terrible. They are working on it. In August, in rain, trucks were broken down everywhere and it was a very slippery drive. Thank goodness we had a careful driver. Some vehicles speed no matter what. Passing trucks was a nightmare. But Lake Nakuru Park was lovely, a pink haze of flamingos and rhinos everywhere.