Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Level of Wildlife Viewing in Tarangire Park in Early March too Poor to Visit?

Search

Is Level of Wildlife Viewing in Tarangire Park in Early March too Poor to Visit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 09:57 AM
SA1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Tanzania the first week of march 2014. I would like to include 2 nights in Tarangire park. The Africa Travel Resource website rates the wildlife viewing in this park as poor to moderate. I am looking for opinions on this as I could also opt to travel in Sept/Oct time frame but not my preference.

Thanks
Tina
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM

While period between July-Oct* is best for Tarangire with a mini-migration, many visit other times of the year this gem of a park that many outfitters simply omit. The ellees are there, as well other game and, of course, the amazing baobab tree landscape. Surprisingly, many visitors claim to have better game viewing at Tarangire than at the Crater or even the Serengeti (though for a Mar visit the Ndutu area will be great).

You always have to remember, you're not visiting a zoo and game can be anywhere almost any time of year.

*seems with worldwide weather changes, many are still planning based on what it was, rather than what it's like nowadays.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 12:00 PM

I visited Tarangire in February one time and "only" saw 200 elephants in one day. I guess it depends on how you define "poor".
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We were there around Feb 20 this year and I had the most amazing elephant sighting there, like Shay said in the hundreds all in one watering hole. Also saw a lioness with two cubs, a trio coalition of cheetahs...for me a day well spent.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My wife and I were there in early February for 2 or 3 days some years ago and saw lions, baboons, black-backed jackal, vervet monkey, banded mongoose, dik-dik, waterbuck, warthog, impala, and at least a hundred elephants.

Not to mention numerous birds including guineafowl, francolin, hornbills, kingfishers, stork, two species of lovebirds, lilac-breasted rollers, superb starling.

And that is just what I managed to photograph!

Experienced African safari travelers might call that meager pickings, but it was the first stop on our safari and we were completely blown away.

And the baobab landscape at Tarangire was iconic Africa to us.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:09 PM
SA1
Original Poster

like Nelson, the baobab trees are iconic to me as well. It will be my first safari and this is the first park I will be visiting so it sounds from a newbie's perspective I won't be disappointed. I have 2 nights in southern and 2 in central Serengeti. I will check with TO if either are in ndtu area.
Thanks for commenting
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 11:45 AM

Ndutu is area still part of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA), whereas the Southern Serengeti, a bit farther north is just that = 'in the Serengeti.'

The 'calving' herds can be in either area as 'they move' - can be in one area in morning and elsewhere in afternoon.... for that matter, 2/hrs later. You're out in the bush so expect anything/anywhere.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM
SA1
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, I sent an email to the TO and requested more specific location information instead of central/south so I can research more. I was looking into a different trip until I realized it went only to western Serengeti regardless of time of year.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 04:55 AM

We were in Tarangire in late Feb. of this past year (early March shouldn't be much different) and it was one of the highlights of our trip. The scenery is like no other you'll see in the Northern circuit--just spectacular. We saw hundreds of elephants, a lioness with three cute cubs, baboons swimming across the river (very humorous to watch them "dip their feet"--they really didn't like the water.) And the only place we saw Tree Hyrax (less common than Rock Hyrax.) And countless birds. We stayed two nights but could have happily stayed longer. Also highly recommend Tarangire Safari Lode.

my photos of Tarangire:
http://www.jczinn.com/East%20Africa/.../eafindex.html
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM

We were there in mid march 2011 and the viewing was poor. I would rather have spent more time in Ndutu and the central Serengeti.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
SA1
Original Poster

WildCatZoo - was that your first safari trip?

Definitely a challenge planning a safari for the first time and making these decisions as certainly I do not want to be disappointed in the trip. jczinn went in late Feb. and loved it while just 2-3 weeks later wildcatzoo went and felt the viewing was poor. Early march (2nd an 3rd) could go either way. I will err on the side of including the park and just try to manage my expectations more on what I may see. After all, Nelson's posts listed black-backed jackal, vervet monkey, banded mongoose, dik-dik, waterbuck, warthog, impala" sounds impressive so I will read up more on different variety of wildlife.