Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Is Kenya safari-safe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/is-kenya-safari-safe-909229/)

holidaying Oct 14th, 2011 11:37 AM

Is Kenya safari-safe?

I've booked Safari trip to Kenya - Tanzania starting from Nov First Week. I knew, all the kidnappings happened near Somalia border.

Just need assurance from you all, is going to Kenya Safari - Masai Mara & Amboseli & travel by Road - still safe?

My wife and daughter are quite apprehensive reading all the safety warnings.

Has anyone cancelled their safari trip due to recent incidents?

Thanks for your replies.

sandi Oct 14th, 2011 01:46 PM

Except for visitors staying away from the Lamu area which is closest south of the Somali border, doesn't appear that anyone is cancelling safari farther south on the coast, and certainly not safari that is inland on the mainland.

It's kind of like asking: I'm visiting NYC, but there were recent riots in Boston... should I still go? Or after the Rodney King jury decision and the riots in Los Angeles, there weren't people cancelling their visits to San Francisco.

Nairobi, Amboseli and then into Tanzania and back again... fine. Some roads a bit bumpy and dusty, and more-so when in parks on game drives, but that's about it! You're on safari.

holidaying Oct 14th, 2011 10:13 PM

Thanks Sandi for the assurance.

qwovadis Oct 15th, 2011 01:20 AM

Always check my consular advisories www.travel.state.gov

And insuremytrip.com usually Patriot or Amex Travel Shield

Except for the one border incident think things are ok

for safaris right now I would go and have fun.

atravelynn Oct 15th, 2011 07:57 AM

If you offered me a job of carrying your bags and holding your binocs and the pay was only to accompany you for free on your trip trip, I'd join you in a minute on that itinerary, without a worry.

The Somali border is far away from where you'll be. Would you cancel a trip to San Antonio, Texas because of the violence along the Mexican border?

I've cancelled or changed a couple of trips to Africa and elsewhere due to safety issues, and lost some $$ in the process, but I would not consider cancelling what you have planned.

bombasticlife Oct 15th, 2011 09:54 AM

You should be just fine! I was there a couple weeks ago and felt 100% safe (aside from pride of lions that walked past my side of the jeep, 2 feet away!).

holidaying Oct 15th, 2011 10:43 AM

haha, thanks lynn, i've read many of your suggestions / reports.

Wife and Daughter were reassured "peace of mind" reading your comments :)

Thanks a lot

Taylort771 Oct 28th, 2011 09:19 AM

The US state department has issued a warning saying the a terrorist attack targeting Americans was imminent I would be weary to travel there with this and with all the piracy

sandi Oct 28th, 2011 01:16 PM

<i>"terrorist attack targeting Americans was imminent"</i>

... and how do the terrorists tell the Americans apart from other Westerners?

PT123 Oct 30th, 2011 10:24 AM

Maybe they don't. You are pretty glib about this topic.