Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Is Johannesburg safe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/is-johannesburg-safe-88268/)

siobhain Sep 29th, 2000 10:29 AM

Is Johannesburg safe?

How safe is Jo'burg to live in. I have heard very mixed views - if you stay on one side of town you'll be ok; <BR> - everyone carries a gun wherever they go. <BR>What is it really like?

Tots Oct 3rd, 2000 08:59 AM

Jo'burg is basically not safe wherever you are. The area to the South West of the city is where the townships are and you want to avoid driving at night in that area. Downtown is like being in the bronx. Ten years ago it was a pretty vibrant area, now all of the businesses have left and it is just an area full of neglected high rises and people lying all over the streets-even the Stock Exchange just left downtown last week for Sandton. Sandton is to the north of the city and with the other northern suburbs is the only viable place to live. Its clean and relatively safe. However, you still have to be very careful and the fact that almost all of the houses have barbed wire all around them and security systems gives you a sense for how the ANC government have basically destroyed Johannesburg and can't control the crime anymore. But then seeing as most of their supporters are criminals its no real surprise. Let me know if you have any other questions. <BR>

kellen Oct 5th, 2000 02:49 AM

I hate this question. It is a ridiculous question.

AC Oct 5th, 2000 06:16 AM

Hey Tots: <BR>When was the last time YOU were in the Bronx? The era of burned out buildings, vacant businesses and people laying all over ended 25 YEARS AGO!! <BR>Why don't you come for a visit and see what living with diversity really is!!

fs Oct 6th, 2000 06:15 AM

You may hate the question, but be reasonable: people have a right to ask for information on safety. Living in DC, as we do, we expect exactly the same issue to arise, and for good reason. We live in an age where media report what occurs. Do you expect people to turn a blind eye? I'm planning a SA trip, and I have the same question. Think what you like - I'll put my safety above your refusal to accept what people want to know.

susan Oct 10th, 2000 07:08 AM

Crime is really a problem in Johannesburg. It significantly affects the atmosphere of the city - - more so than any other city I've ever been in, including Nairobi, Jerusalem, New York, Washington D.C., etc. People are constantly on guard, and you do have to worry about things. <BR> <BR>That said, I traveled alone to Johannesburg a couple of years ago without incident. I stayed in an area called Kensington which seemed safe enough. I even went running alone several times, although in retrospect I would not do that again. I also went to a few bars downtown with some people I met, and spent an evening waiting for a bus at the station downtown and never had any problems. <BR> <BR>However, I would give serious thought before moving there, because I'm not sure I would want to live under constant apprehension of being the victim of a violent crime. I would think it would seriously affect your quality of life.

ExSA Oct 10th, 2000 08:18 AM

I left Jo'burg after being carjacked twice, having my house broken into by armed criminals and because the government and police seem unwilling to solve the problem. <BR>I would not move there-if you have to move to SA, I would recommend Cape Town. It is still ok, but who knows for how much longer. <BR>

kellen Oct 11th, 2000 12:06 AM

Siobhain, <BR>Visit Johannesburg for yourself. You will enjoy it. Stay in the suburbs. Rosebank, Houghton and Sandton are particularly nice. Take a tour of a game reserve. Take a tour of Soweto. Cape Town is also beautiful and you should visit but it is not "real" Africa. It is very European. There is much more African culture to experience in Johannesburg. See for yourself.

ExSA Oct 11th, 2000 11:48 AM

Kellen-why do you say that Jo'burg is more African? The areas you are suggesting-Sandton, Houghton etc are basically completely white suburbs and could easily be found in the US. Just curious...

siobhain Oct 14th, 2000 08:40 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I was writing on behalf of my sister who lives in Bots. Although she is in regular contact with S.Africans living in Bots. she still has the impression that Jo'burg does have safe areas. Her and her husband have decided not to move to Jo'berg, but only because of work. <BR>Ta so much.

ted Oct 19th, 2000 12:22 PM

Gee AC- I live in New York and can testify that there still are burned out buildings in the Bronx. And contrary to what you would have us believe, there are areas that people should not be in if they value their personal safety.

AC Oct 20th, 2000 10:22 AM

Ted: <BR>Do you really think that there is any comparison between Johannesburg and the Bronx? Tots is making a commentary about the Bronx everyone remembers from the late 70's & early 80's. <BR>You may live in NY, but have you been to the Bronx lately? I guess not. Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and Manhattan all have area no one would feel safe in. Why the bad rap about the Bronx from Tots in Zanzibar who might only know about the Bronx from old photos and bad press? <BR>Do you remember when the Yankess played in the World Series in 1977 (? or so) and the camera broke away from the game to show a blazing building? All anyone in a living room could say is "see I told you the Bronx was burned out". <BR>Just my thoughts.