Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Is it too much to combine a full day tour of Soweto & Cradle Of Mankind in Joburg?

Is it too much to combine a full day tour of Soweto & Cradle Of Mankind in Joburg?

Mar 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Is it too much to combine a full day tour of Soweto & Cradle Of Mankind in Joburg?

Coming off my 14 night Zambian safari, I will have one half day in Joburg, and one full day in Joburg, before finishing up with 3 nights in the Sabi Sand.

I would like to hear from others who have visited the Cradle Of Mankind, what did you think about it?

To me, Soweto is an absolute must for my mom and sister to see. I have already visited on a prior holiday and I am looking forward to returning now after I understand South African history just a little bit better than I did before.

But, to combine Soweto with a visit to The Cradle Of Mankind??? If this is just walking through a museum and seeing a few bones, I may pass. I have done similar things in South America and while interesting, quite honestly, so is shopping and people watching in Sandton.

Feedback? Thanks.
Mar 5th, 2005, 06:50 AM

I haven't been to Cradle of Mankind, and I agree that Soweto is a "must". Another day trip that I have researched, but haven't yet visited, is De Wildt, where they raise king cheetahs and wild dogs and other rare animals. Just a thought.

Mar 5th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will check it out.

Search this Thread