Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is It safe to Walk around with Video Camera to Morocco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 10:37 PM
Kay

Hi! <BR>We are trying to find out if it is safe to move around with the video camera in various cities in Morocco, or whether it is risky? Also how many days would you spend minimum in Marakkech, Casa, Rabat, Fez, Meknes, and Agadir if you want to have a good time and sightsee? Any adivise on how to get into Spain?

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 08:46 AM
elvira

Morocco is very safe, so don't worry about thieves grabbing your camera. What you DO want to be conscious of is the Islamic prohibition of human images; do NOT film anyone without asking permission first!! Probably 75% of the time, the person will allow it - but for that 25%, don't infringe on their religious beliefs. Second caveat: as anywhere, do NOT film soldiers, military installations, or anything remotely 'iffy'. If in doubt, ASK!! You won't be shot or arrested, but your film will be confiscated. <BR> <BR>Casa is maybe a day; Rabat, a full day to 1 1/2 days; Fez, 2 days; Meknes, 1 1/2 days (be sure to visit Volubilis); Marrakesh, 3 days. Have not been to Agadir, so can't help there; ditto going from Morocco to Spain (there are regular ferries from different ports; some stop at Gibraltar as well).

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 09:31 PM
Kay

Thank you very much Elvira. I appreciate.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 06:15 AM
Jack

We just returned from Morocco, and took a road trip with friends who live in Rabat. They used a video camera throughout the trip with no problems. They even filmed while walking through the medina in Fez and nobody seemed to mind. Elviras info. re: photos was good; I took a photo from a distance of women washing the hides of sacraficial sheep in Chefchaoen, and got yelled at. <BR>The Medina in Rabat is very easy to navigate without a guide as opposed to Fez, where a guide is almost essential because of the Medina's size and complexity. <BR>When in the area of Fez, don't miss Volubilis. <BR>I would also recommend a visit to Chefchaouen in the Rif Mountains. The Hotel Parador is steps from the Medina. <BR>We also enjoyed Tangier, despite what most guidebooks say. I highly recommend the Continental Hotel in the Medina. This is also the place to catch the ferry to Algeciras, Spain. There are departures at 7, 8:30, 10, 11, 12:30, 13:30, 15, 16:30, 18, 19. 20:30 and 21:30. <BR>We found all of Morocco to be very safe and the people friendly. Just exercise the type of caution that you would in any travel situation. Have fun! <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Kay

Jack, thank you very much. Sorry, for taking too long to get back. I really appreciate the info and tips you gave me.